Fogless Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't see why not. Never really thought about it. I will see how this week goes and then the fresh water when I return. Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated!!!!

In 2005, the invention of fogless glass was announced. I am not sure whether the product has been put into active use yet, but you can bet that it will arrive and will make its inventor a pile of money. The article (Aug., 2005) says 2-5 yrs for applications.

get them a gift certificate towards a charter company for some wreck diving or something local! You dont have to buy a whole charter or anything, but most companies will let pay some and give you a certificate for it, then they can pay the rest!

anakin:
get them a gift certificate towards a charter company for some wreck diving or something local! You dont have to buy a whole charter or anything, but most companies will let pay some and give you a certificate for it, then they can pay the rest!

That's a great idea, unfortunately here in Ohio we don't have a lot of wreck diving :) And since I'm not sure which Carribean location we will be going to next year I can't really shop ahead for that.

I'm going to hit the LDS this weekend and and see what they have and what sort of novelty thing they can suggest. I'll let you know if I find the mysterious fogless mask.

scubagrrl06:
I recently read about a mask that was suppose to not fog or need anti fog to keep it from fogging. I can't remember the manufacturer or name. Has anyone heard of this?
according to manufacturers, the masks will always secret something (I forget exactly what it is) that will mean you will always have to use some sort of anti-fogging agent. Newer masks secret the most and the secretion deceases as the mask gets older and more use. The cause is the silicone that makes up the skirt.
Perhaps if a different substance was used, it is possible for a mask to have no secretion and therefore no fogging problem.
I kinda like the comfort of the soft silicone and dont really find it a problem to keep my mask from fogging. Just wash it with toothpaste or shampoo every now and then. Oh, you might want to be sure the shampoo is baby stuff so if any residue remains it wont burn your eyes.

scubagrrl06:
That's a great idea, unfortunately here in Ohio we don't have a lot of wreck diving :) And since I'm not sure which Carribean location we will be going to next year I can't really shop ahead for that.

I'm going to hit the LDS this weekend and and see what they have and what sort of novelty thing they can suggest. I'll let you know if I find the mysterious fogless mask.

Divers who have everything appreciate the following (well within budget?)

* Antique regulators (single hose) under a 100.00
* Customized neoprene thingies (with some identifying name)
* Custom made backplates (Fred T) over a 100.00
* Old diving books featuring double and single hose regs pictures (voit, healthways, white stag) under 50.00
* Hand painted plastic coated weights created by kids
* Old fishing lures (Heddon, Pflueger) reminds them in an expensive way of the fishing lures that snagged a diver while some knucklehead trolls over your dive flag
* Diving costumes for pets (neoprene vest for kitties, dogs & budgies)
* 12 month calendar of diving superstars (George Irvine (Speedos), John Chatterton,
Jessica Alba etc.

finally if all else fails a fruit basket from Harry and David's

Carribeandiver:
according to manufacturers, the masks will always secret something (I forget exactly what it is) that will mean you will always have to use some sort of anti-fogging agent. Newer masks secret the most and the secretion deceases as the mask gets older and more use. The cause is the silicone that makes up the skirt.

Fortunately for me, my nose secretes a substance that counters that of the mask skirt. I never have fog after about 5 minutes whether I use defog, spit, whatever. It DOES require just a little bit of water in the mask to spread it around, though. :eyebrow:

For those of you who were interested the mask I was asking about is actually a Seadive antifog. I picked it up at my LDS this weekend which they had on sale for $60.00. I bought the one w/the enhanced lens which is suppose to give you brighter colors under water.

Of course it's wrapped in Christmas paper and probably won't be tested until spring at the earliest. All of the links I've found on this website from people who have them say they like them. However I can't seem to find a website for Seadive specificially. Wondering if they are actually made by another company and just sold under a different name.

Back
Top Bottom