Fogging issues with Hero3/Black???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have seen mixed reports with fogging in the dive housing on the older Gopro models while diving at depth, some saying it's an issue others saying no problems. I just got a Hero3/Black and have not dove it yet. I have the LCD backpack and was intending to use it sporadically (framing still shots, making sure something really cool was in frame, etc) and other wise not using it much to save battery. It sounds like the older models may have had worse fogging issues using the LCD backpack vs just the camera?

Anyone using the Hero3/Black having any fogging issues with the housing, any difference using LCD Backpack vs not using it?

Going to Cozumel in a week, just wondering if I need to invest in the anti-fogging inserts or other product, or if I should be fine as is??

Thanks for any input!

Just get the fog strips and not worry about it. I did and haven't had a fogging issue at all.

Last edited:
Fogging of the inside of the camera housing lens is a problem I have encountered in temperate climate (New Zealand, 16C water) and especially when filming in tropical climates. To find out the best anti fog options and to improve the sharpness of the picture I applied the following six different independent tests and filmed the results on Rahotu200:

1. Use GoPro 2 as normal - nothing added
2. Tissue paper inserted down both sides and on back of camera (warning - this could easily jeopardise the water seal if a small amount of tissue is on the seal)
3. Heat camera housing and camera with a hair drier to warm then close housing.
4. Add 3 GoPro anti-fog inserts / desiccant strips inside the housing to absorb any moisture in the air and use camera straight away
5. Hold the camera and housing under an air conditioner outlet for 1 minute then close.
6. Insert 3 GoPro anti-fog inserts inside the housing to absorb any moisture in the air and use camera after 17 hours.

These tests were all carried out in Singapore (tropical - 90 miles from Equator c.80% humidity) by submersing the operating Go Pro Hero2 camera in 4 degree Celsius water then removing and trying to film (extreme fogging test). RESULTS AND OTHER ANTI FOGGING TIPS & OPTIONS are on Rahotu200 channel

CAMERA FOGGING IS CAUSED BY - If the air in your camera housing is from: a) a humid environment, b) the camera is on which generates heat and c) and you and take it in to relatively cooler temperature water you are likely to get condensation on the inside of your housing. Therefore as two of the three above variables are a given if the camera is operating you have to remove the humidity inside the housing. In summary the warmed humid air from the camera heat forms condensation on the coldest part of the housing (unfortunately the inside of the lens bulb). Spray solutions just flatten the fog droplets on the inside of the housing which is not the optically best solution.

Happy shooting - I would be interested in any other suggestions as this problem can be annoying as it happens often.

I use the GoPro - the challenge is the heat differential. If you are shooting in the tropics, try to keep your camera as cool as possible, keep it in the shade, don't leave it in direct sunlight etc (the black version will absorb more heat in direct sunlight because its black!).

Load it it your room, keep it wrapped in a towel to keep it cool. If possible give it a soak in water the same temperature as the water in which you will be diving prior to your dive, you should then be able to see if you will have any fogging challenges prior to the dive.

As an aside, in my experience, the majority of flooding incidents happen in the dunk tank, so it is worth while making sure that you rinse your camera yourself, and take it out of the tank whilst the boat is moving, this will avoid your camera being inadvertently being damaged by other cameras in the tank, or by careless dive staff / new underwater photographers.

Hope that you find this info useful, and happy shooting!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom