Focusing with the 60mm Macro lens on PM-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divealpha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Eventually got in the water with this lens. I had problems focusing, the lens hunted very much, so I had to re-press the shutter to re-focus all the time.
On dry land this lens is marvelous! I guess some have already experienced the lens hunting to focus, so do anybody have the easy solution?
Assigning focus lock on the Video/Rec button?
I don't use a focus light, but have an Inon S2000 attached, and it really catches the colors!

I'll throw in an example: 1/60,f4,ISO200

P9271104.jpg

A few suggestions. First, a focus light really helps. I have the Laluz 800 and L1000 lights which I use as video and focus light. The L1000 is only $179 and is well constructed. Second, I find setting the camera to spot focus for this lens helps. Third you can set the function button to toggle between manual and auto focus. When you get a focus lock toggle to manual focus and rock the camera slightly back and forth until you can see that you have good focus on the object you are shooting. You can magnify the viewfinder to assist in focussing but then it is difficult to compose the image. Finally, you need to control the aperture to get proper depth of field. I am much more likely to shoot in manual with this lens setting the aperture around F8 to get better depth of field. You can still shoot, if you want, in TTL as I am almost certain that this camera shoots TTL in manual mode. Some set the live view boost to on and find that assists with focussing but I haven't found that terribly useful. The focus light will help the most.

Thanks for a bunch of good advice! Seems I must find a way to attach a focus light. Already have a LightForMe backup xml I can use for that. Also, I forgot the aperture, thought I would start with shutter mode, just to learn the camera before going manual....(not very wise when using strobe :) ,. And the spot focus mode as well. I have a Gopro in the accessory shoe, so I will not do much video with the PM1.
Got fairly close with the 14-42 kit lens to, so I'm really looking forward to getting to know the 60mm!

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk now Free

I'm not sure, (I may have changed the setting after the dive), but I think I tried with the 0,4m-infinity setting. Thought that would be a setting that would allow for both fish portraits & some macro.... If I had used the 0,19-0,4m that would minimize hunting, but restrict the useability?

I'm not sure, (I may have changed the setting after the dive), but I think I tried with the 0,4m-infinity setting. Thought that would be a setting that would allow for both fish portraits & some macro.... If I had used the 0,19-0,4m that would minimize hunting, but restrict the useability?
Yes, but it sure would focus faster.

Yes;

You need a focus light; not sure what housing you have, but even the inexpensive Big Blue AL1x5 will work fine with the 60mm. We have kits with various mounts that might give you some ideas. These cameras use contrast AF and they need light to distinguish objects.

Set your AF to single spot, try the limiter that Ron suggested.

Adding a diopter lens may help you to back off, get the same magnification, but be able to light it better.

Hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom