Focusing at night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

notabob once bubbled...
Dee, have your LED lights ever flooded on you? Both of mine have - one on its very 1st dive, the other on its 3rd or 4th. Actually the 2nd light cracked on its final dive, even though the depth did not exceed 125ft. They work great, as far as producing a nice light, but at $16-$20 a pop, I don't want to keep replacing them all the time.

Has anyone come across an alternative small LED light? Something not made by Princeton?

-Roman.

Just once and it was my fault. I turned it off 'too far'. Are you careful not to unscrew it too far when turning it off? All you need is just barely enough to make it turn off. I've had very good luck with Princeton Tec lights of all sizes. This current Altitude has only been in the lake to a max of 24ft but I don't expect any problems.

jiveturkey once bubbled...
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll hopefully be doing a night dive this weekend so I'll have to stick with using a dive light until I can get me a LED. I guess I'll find out soon enough how well it works.

JT...if you'll line the reflector cup (what's that thing called?) with crumpled alum. foil, it will diffuse the hot spot and soften the light for a great night light.

Dee once bubbled...

Just once and it was my fault. I turned it off 'too far'. Are you careful not to unscrew it too far when turning it off? All you need is just barely enough to make it turn off. I've had very good luck with Princeton Tec lights of all sizes. This current Altitude has only been in the lake to a max of 24ft but I don't expect any problems.

Hmm... I don't think I unscrewed it too far. It just cracked... At least it seemed to above water. It may have gotten hit on the ladder while climbing back up onto the boat. The first one flooded during a dive at 40 or so feet while it was turned on. Weird. Maybe I should try to lube up the light o-rings more often.

-Roman.

notabob once bubbled...
Maybe I should try to lube up the light o-rings more often.

-Roman.
I clean and grease the o-ring regularly the same as my camera housing, at the end of every dive day.

Dee once bubbled...

I clean and grease the o-ring regularly the same as my camera housing, at the end of every dive day.

Well, I've been pretty good with my camera housing, it never goes in the water without the o-ring being nice and lubed. The lights - well, perhaps I have been neglecting those. My primary and backup have yet to flood, so I've become a bit complacent.

-Roman.

Mine may be well lubed but none of them have ever cracked! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom