Focus points with fast moving subject - WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety Stop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I posted my question on Tips and technics section of the board whitout any chances. I have a Nikon D7100 with Aquatica housing. I use Tokina 10-17mm for my underwater WA shots. I did a few tests with my camera using my Tokina 10-17 on moving subject, such as Sea Lion and would like to know your comments about it. I set the focus mode on "C" (never auto) but not on a single point (9 or 21 instead). About you, what is your prefered way to do it?

Envoyé de mon SM-T310 en utilisant Tapatalk

I think you have the right idea. With a wide angle lens like that, you will need to be REALLY close. In that mode, it will focus on the closest subject and not something like the eye. But with a lens this wide, your depth of field should be fine so not focusing on points of interest should work.

Exemple of my test with Sea Lions

_PIX0833.jpg

Opinions vary and I'm not a professional, but...

I use single point on both wide angle and macro stuff. If the subject isn't fast moving, I move the focus point to suit composition. I crank the aperture (f stop) down as much as I can to increase the depth of field. Strobe synch speed on my D7100 is 320.

My camera is set on single shot mode rather than continuous and the focus tracking is always on. I'm almost always in manual rather than any of the priority settings.

On my last trip, I left the diffusers on my strobes for both wide angle and macro.

-AZTinman

Single point focus, continuous focus. You could use center area focus if you are shooting a large animal in blue water and there are no other objects in the frame, but I always use single point. Continuous focus should allow the camera to follow your focal point once you hit the focus button and ID it.

I used to use single point only, but got tired of moving the point around only to have the fish change positions. I tried previous versions of focus tracking in Nikon cameras (D70, D90), but never got it to work as advertised. My D600 (now D610) is a different story. I believe the D7100 has the same focusing system. Anyway, I've been experimenting with 3D and have had great success with macro. I set focus on the eye, then compose the picture. Focus follows the eye. Have not tried with wide angle as I use Dynamic almost all the time (on some subjects, single point does work better).

Try experimenting with 3D. I found that it tracks eyes very well.

Good, I'll give it a try on 3D next time I'm shooting macro.

---------- Post added January 9th, 2015 at 07:19 AM ----------

And yes, I normally use single point focus ;-)

Back
Top Bottom