FNG training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The three FNG’s are done with the pool stuff and have their first couple of OW dives tonight. Unfortunately I didn’t get to watch the pool scissions, but I have had some feedback from the three of them.

No fufu stuff but some reality training. Their instructor knows exactly what we need and want out of them. No excuses for this and that but down to earth tougher training. Kind of like it was 30 years ago.

One of them got a little wild with a knife and went to the ER for 6 stitches in his index finger between the hand and first joint. The class was delayed slightly until he returned and went right back at it.

I’m going tonight and by the weekend they will have more than AOW, all within 6 days. The better they do at a skill the tougher the next skill and the one they are good at gets. They have had elbows in the face, a mask that is impossible to clear a regulator that leaks like a blown hose and what ever else the dear sweet man teaching can blast them with.

The open water dives tonight will be calm and collected but they don’t know that. I know they are expecting the worst and they aren’t going to get it. :D

Every step in their training has been an unknown surprise once the basics were mastered. They have preformed like real professionals and that is exactly what I knew they would do.

A fourth guy in the class is another Deputy but he isn’t on the team. Maybe someday and if he does he will have a good foundation to build on.

Gary D.

Good deal! I just got out of the pool after 3 others and myself finished the stamina test portion for our PADI Divemaster cert. By the time we're done with this, we'll have 4 DMs and an Instructor on our team. Like you said Gary, good foundation. Best part is the dept. is covering our time at overtime rates.

Their first OW dives are history for the trio + 1 FNG’s.

All the gear got assembled correctly but I’m not surprised with that.

No buoyancy problems to speak of.

All 4 came up with their air within 200 pounds of each other.

Not one set of fins slapped the surface.

No tanks were left standing.

It looked like a group of four very seasoned divers were in the water not four students and the instructor.

They passed all their skills with flying colors and even ended up doing a night dive that wasn’t intentional.

More Saturday but I can’t make that one. They will do very well. They will be strong divers very soon.

Gary D.

All 3 + 1 made it. Now the fun begins. :D hehehe

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom