Flying with scuba cylinders in Indo...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

don't try to call Lion Air - try even to avoid them
Even when we try to call them locally they don't pick up the phone, changes of flights is nearly impossible.

They cancel flights sometimes for no obvious reasons.

Since the plaincrash end 2006 their daughter Wings Air even cancelled all flights (for a planned maintenance - their planes probably are still getting 'maintained' after 3 months outage now)

I took 4 cylinders on a Lion Air Flight in October, my only hassle was trying to find a torch at the airport so the check-in staff could look into the cylinders (Valves were off). After we located one it was no problem at all as they could see the tanks were empty. They sealed the open end of the cylinders with a passenger name tag and signed their name to say it was empty at the point of departure (Jakarta).
Hope this helps satisfy your question.
- Jeff

What were the excess baggage fees. Most airlines are now tightening down on excess baggage in Indonesia. (20 kilos domestic - 15 kilos international)

Once I got nicked for 140 USD (but I was way over)

Hello all, I returned from Ambon about 2 weeks ago and had no problems getting my cyls on Lion Air, they didn't even look in my bags. I just told them it was diving gear and off I went.

They did get me for about $45 US on the overweight, but I had a bucket of CO2 absorbant that weighed 40lbs extra, plus the cyls. If you don't bring any cyls and have normal dive gear, you should have no overweight charges... -Andy

Thanks, Silent Running! Appreciate the comments, I'm flying Bali-Ambon with my pony on Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom