Flying To/From San Cristobal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a spot booked on the Galapagos Master August 29th-Sept 5th but still need to get my flights booked. I'm going solo and leaving the wife/6mo old at home for this trip so I can't add on more than an extra day or two beyond the liveaboard dates as I'm already pushing it...

Although, with all the flight cancellations going on right now, I'm thinking I really should book my flight from the US to Equador at least a full day or two early in case one of my flights gets bumped. I'm not as worried about the flight to San Cristobal as they seem to have plenty of flight options. I'm thinking either the 27th or 28th for the first flight. Also trying to decide between Quito or Guayaquil, depending on what there would be to do if I end up with a full day there to explore. Or should I just try to head straight to San Cristobal as soon as possible and explore there? This will probably be a once in a lifetime trip for me... I'm thinking I will have a full day to explore around San Cristobal after we get off the boat too before I can fly out.

Also, where is a good place to get travel insurance for this trip? Is the DAN travel insurance good enough or are there better options?

Thanks!
Nathan
I'll be on the Galapagos Master next May 2023 and have already booked my flights (Taking my wife who is a non-diver). Flying AA into Guayaquil two days prior (Thursday) to flying to San Cristobal arriving (Saturday) two days before debarkation on Monday. Did not want to mess around with chances of missing the boat as it is a bucket list dive trip for me and $$$. I chose Guayaquil as I was told the flight from Quito to San Cristobal actually goes to/stops in Guayaquil on the way so might as well be there. Told delays can occur out of Quito due to elevation and weather. Staying at the Guayaquil Airport Holiday Inn so I'm right there for the Avianca flight. Staying at Galapagos Sunset Hotel in San Cristobal.

@LimitedSlip7 Galapagos Master just charged me an additional cost of $20/day due to recent increase in fuel cost for my October trip. Did you get the same bill for your August trip?

Nope, I haven't heard anything about it.

Anyone think it would be worth it to add a Gordon's Rock dive onto the end of the trip or just stick with a land tour somewhere? I'm wondering if I'll be dove-out at that point and wanting to do some land based stuff...

Anyone think it would be worth it to add a Gordon's Rock dive onto the end of the trip or just stick with a land tour somewhere? I'm wondering if I'll be dove-out at that point and wanting to do some land based stuff...
After diving in Wolf & Darwin, the rest of diving would be just ho-hum.

Besides, 7mm wetsuit takes longer to dry inside & outside parts of the wetsuit. After outside of the wetsuit look dry enough, you may need to flip it inside out and hang it in the sun for few more hours as wet 7mm wetsuit could be still heavy and you may end up hauling those moisture in the bag and stink up the rest of the stuff inside the bag.

I am going with Galapagos Master from 26th September to 3rd of October and was charged extra fuel surcharge

… No real issues with crime except a pickpocket attempt ( someone poured smelling liquid on us then two men "offered" to use their water bottles and newspapers to wipe us clean, but their intent was to pickpocket us while "cleaning" us). It happened to another person in our group so when the liquid hit us we just yelled no at the "cleaners" and that was that.
I read this post just before we left for Galapagos. We planned to stay about four days in Quito on the way, so I warned my friends about this “smelly liquid” scam, and potential pickpockets in general.

We were walking down a busy street in Quito returning to our hotel after shopping at a street market. Suddenly I felt a liquid hit my back, and I thought I’d been nailed by a bird. My two companions were hit too. An elderly-looking couple (perhaps a disguise) quickly approached us with paper napkins in their hands. Then I remembered the warning from peeweediver from his post in this thread. I shouted out to my companions to beware of this scam, and the elderly couple quickly disappeared! Luckily, we avoided being victimized.

Examining our clothing later we found a thick green fluid with a vinegar aroma. It washed out easily and completely with a little soap and water.

We had a few good laughs about our experience later. We went on to have an amazing week of liveaboard diving around the Galapagos Islands.

Thank you, peeweediver, for your informative post. It was astounding good fortune to have read it, and it prevented us from falling for this scam.

I read this post just before we left for Galapagos. We planned to stay about four days in Quito on the way, so I warned my friends about this “smelly liquid” scam, and potential pickpockets in general.

We were walking down a busy street in Quito returning to our hotel after shopping at a street market. Suddenly I felt a liquid hit my back, and I thought I’d been nailed by a bird. My two companions were hit too. An elderly-looking couple (perhaps a disguise) quickly approached us with paper napkins in their hands. Then I remembered the warning from peeweediver from his post in this thread. I shouted out to my companions to beware of this scam, and the elderly couple quickly disappeared! Luckily, we avoided being victimized.

Examining our clothing later we found a thick green fluid with a vinegar aroma. It washed out easily and completely with a little soap and water.

We had a few good laughs about our experience later. We went on to have an amazing week of liveaboard diving around the Galapagos Islands.

Thank you, peeweediver, for your informative post. It was astounding good fortune to have read it, and it prevented us from falling for this scam.
So glad you avoided the pickpockets. Also glad you had a great time in the Galapagos.

Back
Top Bottom