Flying To/From San Cristobal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LimitedSlip7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got a spot booked on the Galapagos Master August 29th-Sept 5th but still need to get my flights booked. I'm going solo and leaving the wife/6mo old at home for this trip so I can't add on more than an extra day or two beyond the liveaboard dates as I'm already pushing it...

Although, with all the flight cancellations going on right now, I'm thinking I really should book my flight from the US to Equador at least a full day or two early in case one of my flights gets bumped. I'm not as worried about the flight to San Cristobal as they seem to have plenty of flight options. I'm thinking either the 27th or 28th for the first flight. Also trying to decide between Quito or Guayaquil, depending on what there would be to do if I end up with a full day there to explore. Or should I just try to head straight to San Cristobal as soon as possible and explore there? This will probably be a once in a lifetime trip for me... I'm thinking I will have a full day to explore around San Cristobal after we get off the boat too before I can fly out.

Also, where is a good place to get travel insurance for this trip? Is the DAN travel insurance good enough or are there better options?

Thanks!
Nathan

You are better off booking a ticket straight through. If your originating flighting is delayed/canceled then you are protected all the way through. Depending on how you book tickets, if you do a layover and if your outbound flight is delayed and you miss your connecting flight you could be stuck buying a new connecting flight.

Also because of the pandemic Quito is experiencing higher than usual crime. Though a great city head to San Cristobal and spend you time there - it will be harder to get to again than the mainland.

Depending on the airline, Delta for the outbound you will overnight in Quito. Nice hotel, Wyndham Quito Airport with a shuttle. In San Cristobal we stayed at Hospedaje Romy, nice family run place. They will pick you up at the airport / dock.

We were there in January. Our liveaboard recommended that we arrive in Quito 2 nights before our flight to San Christobal. They were less concerned about cancelled flights as they were about lost luggage. If your scuba bag doesn't make it to Quito and you have a short interval before flying to the Galapagos, you probably will not have your bag for the liveaboard. We spend 4 nights in Quito because we wanted to see the city and the area. Quito has a wonderful historic old town area with amazing churches and museums. Restaurants were good as well. No real issues with crime except a pickpocket attempt ( someone poured smelling liquid on us then two men "offered" to use their water bottles and newspapers to wipe us clean, but their intent was to pickpocket us while "cleaning" us). It happened to another person in our group so when the liquid hit us we just yelled no at the "cleaners" and that was that. We loved Quito. Guayaquil does have a bad rep about crime. The drawback is that the historic old town area is at least 50 minutes from the airport. Also, you will need a day to adjust to the altitude, so I'd avoid doing any of the excursions that take you to 12,000 to 14,000 feet the first day there. If your only staying one full day (our flight landed at 2 am, so two nights would really only be 1 day, I'd stay at the Wyndham airport hotel mentioned by "Scared" which many in our group did and they were very happy. Some did take a cab into the old town area for the day.
Sorry for too much information, but hope something in here helps.

Rob

My upcoming trip to Galapagos will be my 2nd time on Galapagos Master, so I don’t feel like doing some sightseeing in Ecuador before & after the liveaboard trip. The plan is to go straight from Houston to San Cristobal, get on & off the boat, and fly back home.

I’ll be on Galapagos Master from 17 to 31 October, 2022 (2 back-to-back week trips) and booked my flights with United straight from Houston to San Cristobal. They gave me the following itinerary:
16 Oct., 06:18p IAH - 11:38p UIO with UA 1035
17 Oct., 09:30a UIO - 12:08p SCY with AV 1630
31 Oct., 01:56p SCY - 06:30p UIO with AV 1683
31 Oct., 12:35a UIO - 05:50a IAH with UA 2083

Anyone have some recommendations on things to do around Quito or on the Galapagos islands?

The Master liveaboard will be running from August 29th to Sept 5th. My flight from the states lands around 1:30 on the 27th, so I'll have the afternoon available in Quito until the following morning. The Avianca flight the next day should have me in San Cristobal on the 28th at 11am so I would have all afternoon there too...

With the boat disembarking early on the 5th and my flight home from Quito on the 8th, I'll have 2.5 days to spend in either the Galapagos or Quito.

Any must do activities around either of those?

Also, would anyone recommend some gloves? Something I could still operate a camera with... I was looking at these two:

Thanks!

I bought Cressi Defender 2mm for Galapagos and was happy with them.

Stupid question about the travel/health insurance requirement to Galapagos, will my DAN dive insurance and private health insurance be enough to cover that requirement or should I purchase the DAN travel insurance as well?

The Master has an option to disembark on the last night in Santa Cruz or stay on the boat and disembarking early the next day in San Cristobal, any opinions on staying in Santa Cruz? I would have one full day on either island after we are done... I would have most of a day in San Cristobal the day before the liveaboard and it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot to do on that island. Might go on a day trip to Espanola island if I stay there, or possibly go dive Gordon Rocks if I stayed in Santa Cruz... or I could fly back to Quito a day early and have two full days to explore Quito.

My first visit to Galapagos was in December 2016, How is diving in Galapagos in December? , flying to and from Santa Cruz. So I don’t know much about San Cristobal. However, there were plenty of things to see & do in Santa Cruz then.

It’s good to have both DAN dive accident & travel insurance and had to use either of the insurance before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom