I'll be on the Galapagos Master next May 2023 and have already booked my flights (Taking my wife who is a non-diver). Flying AA into Guayaquil two days prior (Thursday) to flying to San Cristobal arriving (Saturday) two days before debarkation on Monday. Did not want to mess around with chances of missing the boat as it is a bucket list dive trip for me and $$$. I chose Guayaquil as I was told the flight from Quito to San Cristobal actually goes to/stops in Guayaquil on the way so might as well be there. Told delays can occur out of Quito due to elevation and weather. Staying at the Guayaquil Airport Holiday Inn so I'm right there for the Avianca flight. Staying at Galapagos Sunset Hotel in San Cristobal.I've got a spot booked on the Galapagos Master August 29th-Sept 5th but still need to get my flights booked. I'm going solo and leaving the wife/6mo old at home for this trip so I can't add on more than an extra day or two beyond the liveaboard dates as I'm already pushing it...
Although, with all the flight cancellations going on right now, I'm thinking I really should book my flight from the US to Equador at least a full day or two early in case one of my flights gets bumped. I'm not as worried about the flight to San Cristobal as they seem to have plenty of flight options. I'm thinking either the 27th or 28th for the first flight. Also trying to decide between Quito or Guayaquil, depending on what there would be to do if I end up with a full day there to explore. Or should I just try to head straight to San Cristobal as soon as possible and explore there? This will probably be a once in a lifetime trip for me... I'm thinking I will have a full day to explore around San Cristobal after we get off the boat too before I can fly out.
Also, where is a good place to get travel insurance for this trip? Is the DAN travel insurance good enough or are there better options?