Flying to Crystal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kayakguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My wife and I are taking my mother to crystal river to snorkel with the manatees this fall. Is thee a good time or bad time of the year? Also, is Orlando the closest airport. This has been a lifelong dream of my mothers, and we are pretty excited too.
Thanks,
Kayakguy

kayakguy:
My wife and I are taking my mother to crystal river to snorkel with the manatees this fall. Is there a good time or bad time of the year? Also, is Orlando the closest airport. This has been a lifelong dream of my mothers, and we are pretty excited too.
Thanks,
Kayakguy

Tampa is just slightly closer (six to ten miles) so I'd base it on which one has cheaper flights and rental cars. My experience is limited so I'll let those who have done this dive more than twice tell you what the best time in the fall is to go.

You'll have a great time. Also do the drift dive. Real fun. The water is about 70ish. Kinda chilly and you'll need a wetsuit. Have fun. Have someone film you. You'll have that forever.

Am in Crystal River now (2/22/07).
Been down to dive ~15-18 times, since 1980.
Went down to Homosassa Springs-next town south- at head of spring about 15-25 manatees this AM. Water temp ~70F. Depth 4-7 fsw. Rented a boat and went out. Find that at head spings, almost a guarantee of manatees. Best time of year November through March (also best time DURING the week, on weekends you can walk on both divers and boats and never touch the river), best time of day ~8AM before everyone else shows up.

Just for your info, best time to snorkel with manatees is around November to February.

I grew up in that area. The later in the fall you schedule, the better. As far as which airport, it really doesn't matter go with which ever has cheaper tickets. My wife and I have gone about 4 times in the last 2 years, she loves it. There is some really fun diving at Devil's Den and Blue Grotto too if you stay in the area. I took my wife to Crystal River once to swim with the manatees and now we have been back 4 times in the past 2 years. Always a blast, here is a link to the place I always use http://www.manatee-central.com If you are looking for places to stay. The Best Western is right next to this dive shop, if you want a little nicer of a place check out the Plantation. Have fun, if you have any other questions let me know.

carlcz:
Am in Crystal River now (2/22/07).
Been down to dive ~15-18 times, since 1980.
Went down to Homosassa Springs-next town south- at head of spring about 15-25 manatees this AM. Water temp ~70F. Depth 4-7 fsw. Rented a boat and went out. Find that at head spings, almost a guarantee of manatees. Best time of year November through March (also best time DURING the week, on weekends you can walk on both divers and boats and never touch the river), best time of day ~8AM before everyone else shows up.

Where did you rent a boat and what type was it
Thnx

Thanks for all of the great info guys. I with deeper, whats the 411 on the boat?

After reading all the comments I guess we will push the trip back to november maybe. We shall see.

Follow that link I sent you, they will rent you pontoon boats for around $20 an hour. Snorkling trips are only $15.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom