flying before diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
It is clear why flying soon after diving is a no-no, but I'd be interested to know if there is any physiological reason not to dive for a period after flying.

BSAC (British Sub-aqua Club)'s advice is not to, the reasons given being that you may be tired/dehydrated/disorientated and so more vulnerable to DCS. I can see this being the case after a long flight, an overnight one or if drinking on the flight, but am not sure how it effects a short (eg 2 hour) daytime flight, if water is drunk during the flight.

Other dive organisations only mention the risk of flying after diving, not before.

Any views on this question very welcome

I'm lucky because I go both ways...

Pilot and Diver!!!

No restrictions diving after flying except the ones you choose to enforce. Flying after diving is all about the residual nitrogen. Not an issue after flying.

Have fun, Stay safe:14:

Diffrey:
I'm lucky because I go both ways...

Pilot and Diver!!!

No restrictions diving after flying except the ones you choose to enforce. Flying after diving is all about the residual nitrogen. Not an issue after flying.

Have fun, Stay safe:14:
Do keep proper hydration in mind.

In theory, you could have a slightly lower initial nitrogen load because you were in an atmosphere with probably 25% less partial pressure N2 than at sea level... it would be akin to prebreathing oxygen before a dive... but there are no tables to integrate predive air travel to your advantage... probably because there are too many uncertain variables (eg exactly what was the cabin pressurized to and for how long) and your aren't diving *that* soon after flying.

The dehydration issue I would think would be valid, but addressible with care... that just stems from the physiological reaction from also breathing a lower partial pressure O2 while on the plane. The solution is to hydrate.

Since airplanes are pressurized to a higher pressure than I normally live at... I never really thought about this issue before. Very interesting...

Hi TheAvatar,

A flight at the customary 8,000' pressurized cabin altitude would result in a slightly lower tissue N2 loading than at sea level, but upon descent this amount would be expected to quickly return to that normal for sea level.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hello Readers:

You actually lose nitrogen during the flight, but this quickly regained, as mentioned.

From a decompression standpoint, there is not a fly-dive problem. From a standpoint of fatigue and dehydration, there could imagine that it might be a problem in some cases.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Dr Deco:
Hello Readers:

You actually lose nitrogen during the flight, but this quickly regained, as mentioned.

From a decompression standpoint, there is not a fly-dive problem. From a standpoint of fatigue and dehydration, there could imagine that it might be a problem in some cases.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Indeed, and it is for this reason that DAN recommends a 24-hour wait when diving after flying ----> http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...flying+before+diving&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom