Flying after diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba65

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok....I need help with this one. Since some people say one thing and other's say another..I need to know exactly if anyone here know's how much time you should leave before flying??? We are diving at the Keys this coming week...we are due to fly out on Sunday 8:00 a.m. flight...should we dive on Sat. or Not??? what is the amount of time that you should leave???

As your question really is more related to decompression issues than medical ones, I have taken the liberty of moving it to this more appropriate forum (described as "Ask Dr. Deco questions concerning the scientific aspects of decompression.")

While you are waiting for responses, this question has been asked scores of times and these threads can be found by performing a board search----> http://www.scubaboard.com/search.php?

The following is what a search of just titles yields (click on)---->

http://www.scubaboard.com/search.php?searchid=253352

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Scuba65:
Ok....I need help with this one. Since some people say one thing and other's say another..I need to know exactly if anyone here know's how much time you should leave before flying??? We are diving at the Keys this coming week...we are due to fly out on Sunday 8:00 a.m. flight...should we dive on Sat. or Not??? what is the amount of time that you should leave???
There is a reason there are no hard and fast answers on this one and it's because there is no hard and fast data. I personally try to wait 24 hours out of conservatisim, but I'm not super strict about it. Shaving off an hour here or there is unlikely to cause any trouble. If you do a morning dive, depending on the logistics and location you'll probably be done around 11-12. You'll take off closer to 8:30 if the plane is not delayed. Therefore you are looking at 21:30 to 22:30 hours.

DAN is busy processing the results of a recent study they did. Right now based on preliminary results they are saying 12 hours for singly day diving and 18+ for multi-day diving, so you'd be well within their estimates which I believe to be conservative.

If it was me, I'd dive Saturday morning but tell the dive op you'd like to do a shallower dive and I wouldn't max out my NDL. I'd also throw in a half stop for good measure and not worry about it. However this decision is very personal. You'll get some people who say 24 hours minimum, no fudging, and others who "fly with their hair wet." Although MHK who falls in the latter category is the only one I've seen who is able to justify their position with anything more than because XXX says so...

When you are searching use the term FAD if they have it indexed (if they don't they should, hint hint SB). Many people shorten "flying after diving" to FAD.

James

I cleaned them up.

Geez, this isn't rocket science--you'd think I could get it right on the first try by now.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

From my reading of the reports, the one thing that jumped out at me was that most of the people who got bent on a flight after diving were showing symptoms 'before' the got on the plane.

I generally make the last days dives short and shallow and I will watch carefully for any signs of DCI. If I am showing signs of DCI I seek treatment and I do not fly.

Scuba65:
...we are due to fly out on Sunday 8:00 a.m. flight...should we dive on Sat. or Not??? what is the amount of time that you should leave???

Scuba65,

If you have access to the NOAA Diving Manual, they have a very nice FAD table. If not, your wet computer may have a "cleared to fly" feature. If not, check with your instructor.

PipeDope's recommendations are good. He is a very experienced long-time commercial diver, and his recommendations fall into the "conservative and safe" column.

Alternatively, you can do as MHK recommends and come back from the boat and "fly with your hair wet"! By his report, MHK hasn't been bent YET, but as Doc Deco says, when his procedure fails, that failure is going to be spectacular! Oh, well, from a DMT's standpoint, it just makes sure that the local chamber isn't under-utilized!

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom