Flyfishing reel for a spool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carldarl

Contributor
Reaction score
Yesterday I was in a fly fishing shop and looked at a line of reels. Stainless steel and very nice. Then it hit me... how would these work for a small reel for SMB's? Has anyone thought of or actually tried using one?

Hadn't thought of it, but they could be just as expensive. Possibly more prone to tangles depending on the model. I'd be surprised if you could get capacity much higher than a typical finger spool.

Problem with using a fly reel is the fact that you have the mounting tangs attached and it would be impossible, unless you modified the reel, to let it spin completely freely.

Also, if you were to try to modify the reel, you could possible destroy the whole thing in the process.

the K

You have to be careful on what type you use. You have to find one that locks tight & you do need to modify it a bit.

I don't think it is worthwhile.

There's a reason why they have fly fishing reels and why they have different types of dive reels. I have a bunch of Englsih Hardy fly reels and I sure couldn't picture using them on a dive.

unless you were fly fishing u/w :D

Tom Winters:
There's a reason why they have fly fishing reels and why they have different types of dive reels. I have a bunch of Englsih Hardy fly reels and I sure couldn't picture using them on a dive.

Well, I should certainly hope not !!!

the K

Thanks for the words. What caught my attention was they had a nice series that the actual sppol looked about like a SS finger spool. Oh well... I will have to live with my alum. finger spool and rewind by hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom