FLUVOXAMINE AND DIVING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oni

Reaction score
My doctor is currently "weening" me of a drug called fluvoxamine (luvox - helps control OCD). I have heard that this SSRI is unsafe to take while diving. It doesn't really matter because I'm dropping off of it, but my real question is: What is the half-life of this medication? In non-medical words: After I take my last (smaller) dose, how long will it take until I can safely go diving?

This is very serious, I am currently taking 175mg and should drop to nothing on the 30th.

Hi Oni,

To answer your question, in a healthy individual the plasma half-life of fluvoxamine is around 17-22 hours when there have been repeated doses. The drug should pose no threat to scuba following gradual tapering to a small, final dose.

Of course, a diver treated for any condition that could compromise physical or psychiatric fitness to dive should receive clearance from their physician before returning to the recreation.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom