Flower Gardens...when to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeavenLeigh

Reaction score
My husband and I are interested in going to the Flower Gardens, but we don't know when to go. I know that spring is the best time to go if you want to see schooling Hammerheads. What time of year is best to see whale sharks? How about Mantas? What about the weather? I know that spring trips often get cancelled due to rough seas...and I would imagine that the fall would be similar since it's hurricane season. Anyhow, any advice/recommendations on timing would be greatly appreciated. :)

The best times are August and Sptember. The weather conditions are more consistant, excluding hurricanes!, and I've seen whale sharks every time I've been out there at that time.

August is the best month for seas as long as a tropical storm does not hit. July is a close second with a lower chance of a tropical event. Spring trips can be quite rough if you are lucky enough to get out.

HeavenLeigh:
My husband and I are interested in going to the Flower Gardens, but we don't know when to go. I know that spring is the best time to go if you want to see schooling Hammerheads. What time of year is best to see whale sharks? How about Mantas? What about the weather? I know that spring trips often get cancelled due to rough seas...and I would imagine that the fall would be similar since it's hurricane season. Anyhow, any advice/recommendations on timing would be greatly appreciated. :)

My first trip is scheduled for October, I'll let everyone know how it goes then :p

Hello, just a pipe dream at this point, but you never know. Could someone provid the followin details?

1. How much
2. What is included
3. Boat leaves from
4. Depart/return date and time.
5. Tanks available? at what cost? how many needed?

TIA

couv

couv:
Hello, just a pipe dream at this point, but you never know. Could someone provid the followin details?

1. How much
2. What is included
3. Boat leaves from
4. Depart/return date and time.
5. Tanks available? at what cost? how many needed?

TIA

couv

Visit http://www.gulf-diving.com/ for current information, but from what I can recall:

1. Prices are set by the the dive shop you book through, but plan on $380 for a two day midweek trip, and $405 for a two day weekend trip. Add $65 for nitrox.

2. 2 nights on the boat, all meals, tea, water, lemonade and coffee.

3. Freeport, TX

4 8:30pm/5-6p.m.

5. Bring one tank if diving air, they will supply a tank if you purchased nitrox.

I'll add you'll need gloves, weights, primary and secondary lights, tank light, safety sausage, and cash (for crew tips, sodas, beer, t-shirts).

Thanks cowjazz...great website, hope to make it to the FG one day.

Be making a trip to Flower Gardens hopefully next year..cannot wait to try it.

RaginCajun:
How much to tip?

Seriously...we're talking about a 2 night trip including lodging. I'm a bit new and just have to ask.

10% of your trip cost is recommended, but you are free to tip what you like. The galley crew works pretty hard and non stop to have a meal or snack available after each dive, and the entire crew works hard to make sure you have a fun, safe time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom