flower gardens-what time to get good spot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi everyone. only five more days til we go to flower gardens!!!! can't wait!!! what time should we be at the dock to be one of the earlybirds who get the worm so to speak? 7:30??? or is that too early?? thanks,d

I usually have my stuff pretty close to the front of the "line" by 1900 (7pm) or earlier. Perhaps more important than your place in the gaggle (line) is objectives and plans. If you have a buddy, one needs to stake out bunks while the other stakes out slots on deck. Remember that the working DMs will board first and claim some of the prefered locations. Look at the boat diagrams and plan your choices. Then grab the first ones you can find that meet your needs. Don't expect to get 2 lower bunks in the more desirable rooms. Two smaller bags that you can move quickly with will mark the bunks. And 2 BCs are easily carried for marking a couple tanks. Then go back and get the rest of your stuff.

It really doesn't matter they don't let anyone board until 8:30 and by that time everyone is congregated at the pier, the Dive master comes out and checks the roster, checks personal tanks for VIP and Hydro and it kind've becomes a mad dash when the Dive Master says board. Just get there check in with your shop representative and make sure you have all your paperwork together.

When boarding have one person take 2 personal items and secure your bunks, while the other stakes a claim on two spots on the dive deck. I highly recommend the forward cabin on the Fling we were in a 4 bunk cabin away from everything, and Head #1 with the shower was right outside our cabin (no having to climb stairs in the middle of the night to pee). I would suggest on the outside rows, if you're on the inside rows you wind up fighting everyone's wetsuits. If you are bringing you own tank you can move a boat tank to place yours in a spot.

After getting all your stuff on board, go make your bunk. Everyone else will be on the dive deck putting gear together, after making you bunk then set-up you tank/BC/reg, everything else can wait till morning, then check in with paperwork, C-card, safety sausage. You'll be behind the rush.

Take two towels

Jay_SMART_Diver:
I highly recommend the forward cabin on the Fling we were in a 4 bunk cabin away from everything, and Head #1 with the shower was right outside our cabin (no having to climb stairs in the middle of the night to pee).

Only down side to the forward area is that if sea are rough, you will feel it more forward than in the mid-ship bunks. They do have 1 or 2 double bunks that they usually will recruit couples to fill. If you want that, tell your shop and they may even be able to reserve it for you.

It's looking pretty good thru Wednesday. Here's a link to the info buoy

http://seaboard.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZNT24.KNHC.html

As already mentioned they have double bunks for couples, so you can probably just ask where they are and leave the mad dash to the singles. I'd concentrate on getting 2 comfortable spots on the outside for your gear. My personal choice on the Fling is right by the entry. There's a support for the upper deck right next to them that provides an open space along the bench so you won't be competing for elbow room when you suit up. It's been a few years since I was on the Spree and I can't remember if they have the same layout.

Bring a couple of short bungee cords to secure your tanks on the ride out.

no one had mentioned we needed bungee cords before.......tanks won't be "clipped" in rack? once we set up rig, then we need bungee cord?

donnad:
hi everyone. only five more days til we go to flower gardens!!!! can't wait!!! what time should we be at the dock to be one of the earlybirds who get the worm so to speak? 7:30??? or is that too early?? thanks,d

I am heading out the same time I know AWAP is on the trip with us are you also going on the SIS trip? I am comping at the bit to get this trip started.

8" or 10" bungie cords are not a bad idea. They'll come in real handy to secure your wetsuit while it dries also keep it from flopping around, bothering others and even maybe losing it should it come free from the hanger while you're eating or sleeping. You won't need them for securing tanks.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom