Flower Gardens, July 23-24th, Anyone going?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danny....glad to hear all went well and what great sea conditions......viewed your pictures,really nice---wow what a cool shot of the christmas tree worm!! Have a safe and fun trip to Baja. Thanks for this trip report.....will be waiting on another from La Paz......for me its CSSP and Travis---gee.

Hey Dan, sounds like you had a great trip and Im glad you made it home safe! I am taking my first trip to the Flower Gardens on August 13 and 14 on the Fling.

Do you have any pointers on the boat or the diving that might help? Any special gear or procedures that you would recommend?

Great pictures on your website!

Thanks!

Ben

I was on the Spree, but I think both boats are very similar. Follow the instructions of the divemasters, crew and captains and you will be fine. If I can make one recommendation to anyone diving the Flower Gardens, that recommendation would be to get EANx Certified and dive EAN. These are deep dives and on air your bottom time will be limited. Diving nitrox may limit your max depth a bit, but it will extend your overall bottom time significantly. You have to really watch your depth. You can get very deep without realizing it. The boat sets a limit of 130' on the first dive and 100' for every dive after that. You don't want to exceed those depths by even a foot as you will be sitting out for awhile. There is plenty to see well above those depths. The mix was EAN32 on all but one of my dives when the mix was EAN33. My deepest dive was 91'. Take a compass, as doing out and backs from the mooring line is the best way to find the boat again. We got a great laugh out of watching divers from the Fling pop up a hundred yards or more from the boat and need to have the dingy go get them. I must say, no one on the Spree had to be retrieved during my trip, so we all got good laughs watching the Fling retrieve it's divers. Otherwise, just your normal dive gear. Remember, there are no spare parts on board, so bring your save a dive kit. I watched one diver sit out the last 2 dives because his high pressure hose decided to develop a balloon and leak. So it's not a bad idea to have a spare regulator hose, low pressure hose and high pressure hose, plus the other little things you might need to "save your dive".

Danny, thanks for the great info. I am diving CSSP on Friday to brush up on my skills and will practice my out and backs. I didnt realize that finding the boat again would be that difficult, but I am a novice diver and often dont consider those things.

I wont have the oppertunity to get EAN (is that Nitrox?) certified before my trip, but will look into it afterwards.

I will also bring the extra hoses/mask straps/fin straps/o-rings that you suggest.

Is this your first trip to La Paz? I was there in early April for my first dive trip and had a GREAT experience! We stayed at the La Concha resort and used The Cortez Club for diving. We saw a Whale Shark from the boat but did not get to dive with it. I have a good picture of me near the whale shark if you want to see it just send me your e-mail address.

The Sea Lion dives were my favorite because it was so interactive, but all of our dives were great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom