Flower Gardens 10/23-24 Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just got back from the last trip aboard the MV Spree to the Flower Gardens for this year. Diving was great, conditions were excellent. Just one hiccup, we had a lady complain of shoulder pain after the third dive of the first day. The Spree crew acted quickly and efficiently to get her on oxygen. There was also a Doctor, RN and EMT onboard who checked vitals reguarly. The woman was transferred to a oil platform and the Coast Guard came out and picked her up and flew her to Hermann Hospital in Houston. It was a type I DCS hit and she is now at home and doing fine. She will dive again but the doctor said Nitrox only from now on. The woman has surgery on the shoulder 5 years ago and the scar tissue was one of the factors for the undeserved hit. We talked with her buddy and they wer not diving unusually deep, and were actually adding in extra safety stops. They were on Air only tanks. She was well hydrated according to others on the boat. The incident was handled efficiently, calmly, and safely. I was very impressed by the crew and the guests of the boat.
The diving was excellent this weekend with a great oil rig dive with virtually no current. Tons, and Tons of fish and one shark. The dives at Stetson Bank brought a very nice Manta Ray on both dives. Lots of eels, on Stetson also. The West and East banks of the Flower Gardens were teaming with fish, and fish ID was the name of the game between dives. This was a nice quiet crowd onboard and even had two kids who were excellent divers and really added a lot to the trip. Surface Intervals were filled with great food, laughs and Monty Python movies!
I can't wait till next season and some more great trip aboard the Spree.

Sounds like a great time. Nice report.
What was the cost for this trip? Also, how are the cabins?

The cost is $355 for the weekend trips but they are going up $25 next season because of fuel prices. Cabins are four to a room and then there is a main room that holds about 8 more beds. I like the four bunks to a room myself. It seems a bit more private. Each bunk has a curtain that closes and it's own light. The beds are firm and are about 6.5 feet long. I sleep very well on the boat because I love the rocking of the waves. :07:

Dang I know I should have gone ($$$ :-( ),,,,missed out on a great time it sounds like. Glad the lady with the DCS is doing good! Happy you and Troy had fun and saw some cool wildlife.

Debraw:
The cost is $355 for the weekend trips but they are going up $25 next season because of fuel prices. Cabins are four to a room and then there is a main room that holds about 8 more beds. I like the four bunks to a room myself. It seems a bit more private. Each bunk has a curtain that closes and it's own light. The beds are firm and are about 6.5 feet long. I sleep very well on the boat because I love the rocking of the waves. :07:

Thanks Debraw. Good info. I guess that price is for two nights in the cabin and all the food and dives. Sounds fair.
I'm not sure I could take the rockin though..

The Spree is done for the year but the Fling is going out next weekend on it's last trip of the year. Trips start up in February again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom