flower garden

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would check on that Rig diving before I took a boat out there. I have heard the same thing recently about no diving them because of security precautions. The Gulf Diving boats are not going out there anymore because of the security concerns.

Debraw:
I would check on that Rig diving before I took a boat out there. I have heard the same thing recently about no diving them because of security precautions. The Gulf Diving boats are not going out there anymore because of the security concerns.

It's been a couple years since I took the Hobie out for an inshore rig dive so a check would not hurt. I did a payed day trip last year with Ascuba Venture out of Corpus. They usually go further out - like 30 or 40 miles. And I talked to them earlier this summer and I didn't get the impression anything has changed.

padrediver:
Thanks for your reply. As soon as I get up my nerve to go
back to the Houston area (from Austin) I'll come visit!
(I got CARJACKED in Galveston in 2002). Fellow Austinites
had been telling me to watch out for this in Houston area,
BUT GALVESTON....YOU'VE GOT TO BE JOKING! It really was
the last thing I was concerned with, and that's WHY they got me! Oh well, live and learn. The poor SOB's who did it have
probably never scuba dived and probably never will.

CIAO

PLEASE don't judge Houston by Galveston. There are 50 miles apart. FYI, Austin's crime rates per capita are higher in almost all categories than Houston. (Galveston is a whole other story)

Debraw:

I heard that rig diving is prohibited out in California but I have fished and dove several rigs this summer here off the Texas Coast. The bottom line is that the courts have ruled that oil companies own THE RIG not the water. They nor Uncle Sam can prohibit diving or fishing at the rigs. You cannot go onto the rig but the water around it is fair game.

The rigs over about 8 miles out are your best bet for good vis anytime. The inshore ones will work but you need to watch the water conditions as the vis sucks sometimes depending on the weather/waves/etc.

I had two people in the shop today that went out with Wolf Charters last Friday for a two tank dive on a rig. The rigs are open! Cost was $180 and it was approx. 40 miles out. It took them 2 hours to get out there and 4 hours to get back because the waves picked up. They only ended up making one dive. Sounds kind of costly to me. I think I will stick to the FG trips.

I am flying in on the 29Th to hou and need transportation to freeport and will need transportation back to hou on the 1st of september. If you have any sujestions I could use drop me a note please. mr_bill@mailcity.com
Bill
Cincinnati, ohio

blibecap:
I am flying in on the 29Th to hou and need transportation to freeport and will need transportation back to hou on the 1st of september. If you have any sujestions I could use drop me a note please. mr_bill@mailcity.com
Bill
Cincinnati, ohio

The 29th of Aug for Sep? Have you tried contacting some of the other divers going on that trip?
Maria

sharkdiver00:
The 29th of Aug for Sep? Have you tried contacting some of the other divers going on that trip?
Maria
Its the 29 of august this weekend and I don't know any one else who is going on the trip. I just booked this my self.
Thanks
Bill

Its the 29 of august this weekend and I don't know any one else who is going on the trip. I just booked this my self.
Thanks
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom