Flower Garden trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaryGWood

Reaction score
Not sure if it fits in this forum or the Carribbean forum since it's billed as the Texas Carribbean but seemed that the North America forum is the best fit. :)

I just completed a trip on the M/V Spree on 8/4 and 8/5/2002 and wanted to share a few observations. For those that don't want to read the entire thing, below is a quick list of the things I learned and helpful hints.

1) Take some bug repellant with you. You won't need it once the boat leaves shore but while you are waiting on the pier (anywhere from a few minutes to an hour) the mosquitos will eat you alive. With the West Nile Virus threat, you could probabaly charge for it's use...

2) This is not a place for the new diver. I have my AOW Certification and have made 20 dives (over a dozen dives in the last 3 months) and found myself challenged by the dives. In particular you need to be able to do some solid navigation or at least be smart enough to stay in site of the anchoring U-bolt.

3) There is little tolerance for not diving 'smart'. If anything goes slightly wrong, abort your dive. For example, my buddy lost her fin during the initial descent. We though we would just continue down and locate it. We couldn't (fortunately someone else found it) and decided to abort. Smart decision as current had already moved us about 40 yards from the boat. Tough swim with both fins, very tough with one.

4) God help you if you return to the boat without air in your tank. Not only is it just a bad idea but Capt. Frank does not approve of this type of error and is willing to discuss it at length with you should you commit it. Fortunately did not happen to any of divers on my boat but I heard stories and at the very least, you will not dive again for the rest of the trip.

5) Safety stops, not just a good idea - it's the law here.

As I'm sure you can guess, safety is a very serious thing on the Spree and they don't appreciate violating the safety rules. Now for the trip report.

We boarded and got the orientation from Capt. Frank. This was almost like a stand up comedy routine - quite humorous. Capt. Frank's delivery was effective in helping understand the rules of the boat and diving without making it seem like it was harsh and the comedic delivery made it easier to remember, many comments were repeated throughout the weekend with a laugh.

The overnight trip to the West Bank was relatively smooth although it was quite noisy with the engine running and some waves slapping the hull. If you aren't a heavy sleeper, consider some soft ear plugs to take the edge off. I assure you subsequent nights will see you sleeping regardless of the noise level as 5 dives in one day tend to wear you out a little.

The West Bank was great. The Frog Fish spotted over the July 4th weekend is still in residence. Visibility was around 60 feet and the water temp at 70 feet still hovered in the low 80's. Very comfortable diving. Lots of fish with a good variety and some large schools. Barracuda abound.

We missed the night dive due to a mixup in getting our tanks filled but we can save that for next year - yes, definitely going again! This was for the best as I feel my experience level is not yet up to the challenge of a night dive out there.

Stetson bank was nice but visibility was not near as good nor was the area as pretty as the West Bank. Better chance to see some of the larger pelagics here but it was not our lucky day. Water temp was the same as the West Bank's.

The dive masters, Jean Anne and Matt, were utterly fantastic. Great knolwedge of the area and more than willing to discuss helpful hints with those of us new to the area. Capt. Frank was great and always seemed to be around when anything was going on - not sure when this guy slept! Robin and Niels whipped up a pretty good spread from the galley but even more important was the fact that something was always available to eat or snack on between dives - I found this to be a HUGE benefit as it seemed I was always hungry, must be something about the wave action.

One of the best dive values for the money. Go check out the Spree when you get a chance!

Good trip report. You're right, the FG are not for beginners! the rules may seem strict but 100+ miles offshore is NOT the place to get in trouble. Those rules are there for a very good reason and have been tested over time to be the safest.

Good tips....I'm glad you had a great time.

As part of the group going out this weekend thanks for the report. Its good to know the currents are moving a little. Glad you had a good trip.

West Nile is honestly nothing to worry about. Its estimated right now that less than 1% of mosquitos carry it and the transmission rate is less than 1% (Source: TDH) But getting eaten alive sill isn't fun.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom