Florida Wetsuit Thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Below H2O

Reaction score
I know there is a forum for this, but I couldn't find any relevant information on Florida diving. I was planning on getting a Henderson Hyperstretch 3mm FullCore wetsuit. But, I went to the local dealer (Orlando) and he says all he wears is a 5mm Fullcore combo in Florida. He said he wears it even in the Keys. I was wondering what other people were wearing? I plan on diving in some of the local springs and will make it to the keys on occasion, but the local dealer now has me wondering what to get. I also want to hear from some of the women. I have to get my g-friend a suit as well. She is a typical woman whom is always cold... Please help:)

-Mark

My wife has a 3mm BARE suit, and is quite comfy in the springs for an hour or so. I wear an Aropek 3mm and usually find myself venting to cool down if I am active in the water
(Coming from a man whom park rangers confuse with a manatee in clear water) I have "extra insulation" but my DB and I each wore 7 mil on our checkouts in a spring and we were both venting CONSTANTLY! As for salt water, will be doing that for first time at SoFlo!!

I wear a 0.5mm under a 3/2mm wet suit when diving the springs(~70 deg F)--seems to keep me at just about the right temperature. Dove in Boynton Beach in August with just the 0.5 (~80 deg F) and hit the St. Mary's River in GA last week in just the 3/2 (~76 deg F). Most of what I've seen for the warmer waters (70 deg F and up) are 3mm suits. Just depends on what your tolerance to cold is, what type of diving you will be doing and how much 'natural insulation' you have! :D

I wear a 3mm farmer john with a 3mm long sleeve shorty in the springs and in the ocean in the colder months. In the summer I wear just the long sleeve shorty with usually a skin to protect myself from stinging stuff. If you wanna know where I bought my stuff PM me and I'll let you know.

I dive Springs a lot and a 3mm usually is fine. However, I don't have much body fat and do get cold on second dives. I have thought about getting a 5mm jacket and switching from the 3mm after the first dive. Haven't yet though. :wacko:

I use a skin in the ocean during the Summer (78 - 86 degrees) mostly to keep away the stinging things and a 3mil for the springs and Winter time, and I add a hood for less than 68 degrees... Although I have added some extra insulation around the middle in the past year, so I'm not sure how it'll be this Winter.

And I'm quite sure everyone around me are all very glad that I don't wear speedo's

"what are you wearing?"
"these are my dah dun dot daaas"
"Your what?"
"Dah Dun Dot Daaaa!!!!"

cdiver2 once bubbled...
I wear speedos :)

OW!!! GETTING DAIN BRAMAGE!!!
The mental picture!!! Pain stinging like ice picks! Gouge out mine eyes!!! TOO LATE!!

:whoa:
Thank you for tuning in to "WTMI", The Too Much Information Network! The station where IGNORANCE is BLISS!

GAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

That was fast:) Thanks for the info. I am pretty much set on the 3mm Hyperstretch. I will probably be in the Springs more than the Ocean, but we will see. I am just getting back into diving after 12 years of other things. It is my girlfriend that I am a little concerned about. She is pretty much always cold.

Thanks Again,
Mark

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom