Florida Trip Dive Report - Feb. 23-25, 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sccaleb

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, it was a LOT of diving packed into a couple days. We started out by team driving all night Thursday night into Friday morning. We got into Williston, Florida about 8 a.m. We went straight over to Blue Grotto (had not planned to dive it) and my good friend Robbie and I said, "What the heck, we have a few hours till we have to be at Rainbow River." We pulled in, paid, and we were in the water by 9. At 98', it is my deepest dive to date (but only till the water around here warms up). Blue Grotto was very, very neat and definitely something everyone should do once all relatively expensive, especially compared to the better diving at Ginnie Springs (in my opinion).

We spent our couple hour surface interval in transit to Rainbow River where we drifted down the river. Spent most of the time on my snorkel (actually reattached it for the first time since my OW class) but did two dives, one down into a small cavern (just big enough for me and my buddy) and another just
looking at fish and shells and such. Was very nice, and very relaxing. Something someone could do if they were bringing a whole family as most of it can be seen with simply a snorkel.

Then we spent the next couple hours on our way to Ginnie Springs. By this time we were getting tired but determined to get Ginnie Springs in. We did the main cavern and also did Little Devil, Devil's Ear, and Devil's Eye. All were very neat and very much enjoyable (when you go: neat thing at Devil's Ear is that when you get down towards the bottom of the cavern and look up, the current from the river and the spring create a red swirl that looks like blood or something... weird but neat). We did two night dives at the main cavern. Someone went down near the grate where the current flows out and broke their glow stick open and green stuff went everywhere. We all turned off our lights and enjoyed the now sparkly cavern walls. It was comparable to star gazing and kind of neat (all though I am glad I wasn't personably responsable for the glow all though I understand the people who own Ginnie due it for special events).

The next day (Saturday) was spent at Crystal River (King's Bay and Three Sisters). I was very dissapointed actually as there were TONS of people around and thus, the manatees were shy and visability was low. Finally got to see one as I was exploring around with my buddy at Three Sisters... he came up and let us pet him and then a group of people came around, so he didn't want to be bothered anymore and that was fine with me. At King's Bay in the morning, some older gentleman was snorkeling with his kids (not wearing a snorkel vest) and started having some serious health issues. He was really pale and hurting... started panicking as well which didn't help. I grabbed ahold of him, over inflated to help keep us both up and calmed him down. Once I got him calmed down enough, my buddy and I swam him quite a ways back over to his boat. It was a little bit too exciting for my tastes.

Finally, Sunday we woke up and went over to Devil's Den. My buddy and I did two dives there, completely exploring most of what we could find. Saw some really, really huge cat fish and it was a very neat place. Then my friend Jon who was with us (missed Blue Grotto on Friday), decided he wanted to see Blue Grotto, so we packed up and went across the highway and dove Blue Grotto one more time.

It was an absolutely awesome weekend and I loved the clear spring waters of Florida! I can't wait to go back, all though I love our diving around here. :D The water as pretty much the standard 70 degrees every where we went. I had a great time and logged a bunch of dives. Now we need to plan a Dixie Divers trip down there to tool around! :wink:

Caleb

Caleb,

Wonderful dive report. Reminds me of a trip a couple years ago to that same area. Lots of fun.

Dave

Sounds like you had a great time. My only concern with your report was the two night dives in the main cavern at Ginnie. Technically, a night dive in that cavern could be considered a "cave" dive if there isn't sunlight to guide you out. Been there lots, so I know it's small and you can easily find your way out. Just the principle of the thing. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not "flaming" you or anything. Just food for thought!

Well, according to the lady that we spoke too when we got to Ginnie and mentioned that we were wanting to do night diving, it really doesn't matter. Yes, you don't have sunlight in that cavern at night, but she also said we could use lights in there because it doesn't go back any farther than that grate (because they put that grate up, you cannot go back into the cave system from Ginnie). I understand that the reason you can't use your lights in the entrances to cave systems is simply a deterant to keep people not cave certified from going where they are not supposed to... and since we couldn't go any farther than the back of the cavern (not that we wanted to), it really wasn't a big deal.

Don't know whether it was cosure by other people's standards or not, but the people at Ginnie didn't have a problem with it. Also, some of the people we were diving with there were regulars to Ginnie and they told us that they have big nights dives there for special events (4th of July), not to mention that not one of the probably 30 people night diving that evening was cave or cavern certified as those folks were still trucking it out from the other places leading into the cave system (spoke to some of them... and those guys and gals are tough cookies).

Now, if we had been using lights in Little Devil, the Ear, or the Eye, I'm sure that would have been a little different since it is open access to the cave system. But irregardless, I stayed with my buddy, stayed close to the line and had a great dive. And given the opportunity to do a night dive there again, I probably would. I definitely understand the principle of what you are saying, but as long as the people from Ginnie don't have a problem and don't define it as cave diving, then I certainly won't worry about it. I definitely take your point as valid though. However, I will say that I would not have done it had I not been buddies with someone I know and trust. I would actually be a lot more apprehensive about diving Devil's Den than doing a night dive at Ginnie. Don't get me wrong, I loved Devil's Den and would love to go back, but it is very dark down there and is very tight in some places (DEFINITELY a place I wouldn't personally dive without a good dive buddy who I know and trust).

Caleb

Now... I realize "just because everyone else is doing it" is not a plausible arguement. Nor is it a good arguement to use that in saying everyone else was just like me. Nor, I guess, is it an arguement about definition. All I'm saying is that the person we spoke to at Ginnie didn't have a problem with it and it was definitely an experience worth participating in.

Caleb

Like I said, my comments weren't intended as criticism. I just wanted to make sure you (and maybe for others in the future) had thought the situation through. Again, glad you had a great trip!

And I do appreciate it. I actually brought that question up at waters edge. "Hey guys... if we can't see light, is it still a cavern?" "It'll be fine... you'll enjoy it. If you don't want to do it then you don't have to, but you'll love it." So I did it. And sure enough, I enjoyed it.

I appreciate your comments. What other neat places are there to dive in that area that I missed on this trip? Any ideas about how to make Crystal River more enjoyable (because I was deeply dissapointed)?

Caleb

There are enough street lights posted around the main spring at Ginnie that you'd think the sun was always up :p

You know... I didn't think about it... but there are a lot of dang lights there, aren't there?

Caleb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom