Florida Sites for New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cen_Fla_Keith

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about as new to diving as one can be (did the certification dives last weekend... right between hurricanes... t'was a blast -- the Lake Denton brim were especially bold, having not been fed for a weekend or two).

We (my OWD certified fiance and I) live in Central Florida, about an hour east of Tampa.

Looking for beginner appropriate ideas in the area... I know there are lots and lots of dive opportunities, but many seem like they're more appropriate for later, when I've a bit more experience under my belt.

Any "tamer" ideas in the general vicinity would be appreciated (in snow ski parlance, I'll get to the double diamonds eventually, but right now I wouldn't mind doing hitting the bunny trails a few more times).

Well, the easiest diving is in the springs. For you, Rainbow River, Divers Den, Blue Grotto are closest. However, ocean diving isnt that big a deal, especially on the Tampa Gulf area, where its shallow. Pick a boat with a DM, and you cant get some further help. All floridian divers should own a copy of Ne Deloaches Guide to Underwater Florida.

Thanks... I had a B&N gift certificate just sitting around waiting to be used, so I ordered the guide.

Yeah the springs are your best bet right now if you looking for a bit more seasoning. The gulf is all churned up so vis is terrible. There is some good ones just to the north, Pardise Springs, Devils Den, Blue Grotto, Rainbow River, Crystal River to name a few.

Paul

Patience my friend.... soon the storms will pass and there will be a whole LOT of shore dives with many cool rewards to the sharp eyed diver.

If you want a wreck in the gulf
try the Sherridan or RJ thompson
The Sea Fox has taken me to both

seafoxdivecharters.com

Sherridan = 70 Fsw
RJ = 60 Fsw

Dive safe

Marks

Keith,
You came to the right place to find places to dive. I'm surprised no one mentione Blue Heron Bridge. It's a great place for a beginner. I love taking students there for dive#1. It's the ugliest most interesting dive in Florida. Every time I go there, I either see something new or something interesting. It's always an adventure.
Also... keep an eye out for Ft Lauderdale Beach dives off of Hibiscus St. Marvel has a wonderful back yard.

Al

Let us know what trips you plan. I'm sure there are others in Central Florida (Lakeland here) that would like to join in a trip!

One of the first responders suggested a book listing all the destinations in Florida... should be here any day now (presuming, of course, Ivan isn't).

We actually live nearer Lakeland than any other city, so groups departing from there would be VERY convenient for us!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom