Florida recommendations...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith.M

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

On fairly short notice here it looks like I may have to travel to Atlanta for business on 8/10-11.

So of course since I am all the way across the country, I may as well make the remaining part of the week a dive trip! :wink:

So I am looking to fly from Atlanta either in the evening of the 11th or morning of the 12th, to either West Palm Beach or Ft. Lauderdale.

I am leaning toward Ft. Lauderdale as it seems I can save a little on the flight. I will rent a car so I believe that travel up to the Blue Heron Bridge would be quite doable.

I am looking for recommendations on where to stay and where to dive. I am interested in both boat and shore diving, reefs and wrecks. I believe a flag is required in Florida? Is that true at the bridge also? Can a flag be rented or do you have any recommendations for a cheap flag that would work well there?

And of course, if anyone wanted to join me for a dive or dives, that would be great!

Ft. Lauderdale with a rental car is the best choice, in my opinion. You have access to both north and south dive sites depending on the weather.

That is what I was thinking as well, plus the flight is a little cheaper.

Looks like it would give me access to WPB and Key Largo with not much more driving for either one.

How many days-available-for-diving will you have?

Keith. Just to clarify. Are you planning to make Ft Lauderdale home base then drive to dive? Or fly into Ft Lauderdale then stay at different locations, WPB to Key Largo?

FYI. That is the first full week of the regular lobster season. :D Just saying...

As for flags, they are required but the only time you will need one personally will be shore dives, such as BHB, and you can rent that plus tanks and weights for the bridge at Force-e dive shop. They are on the main road, Blue Heron Boulavard, about a block from the bridge. Some dive boats south of WPB, such as Underwater Explorers out of Boyton Beach, have you tow your own flag but I understand they can supply the flag on board. Other boats put a guide in the water to tow the flag for you.

Last edited:
How many days-available-for-diving will you have?

3-4 Saturday will be my last as I will fly out on Sunday with minimum 18 hours surface interval.

Keith. Just to clarify. Are you planning to make Ft Lauderdale home base then drive to dive? Or fly into Ft Lauderdale then stay at different locations, WPB to Key Largo?

FYI. That is the first full week of the regular lobster season. :D Just saying...

As for flags, they are required but the only time you will need one personally will be shore dives, such as BHB, and you can rent that plus tanks and weights for the bridge at Force-e dive shop. They are on the main road, Blue Heron Boulavard, about a block from the bridge. Some dive boats south of WPB, such as Underwater Explorers out of Boyton Beach, have you tow your own flag but I understand they can supply the flag on board. Other boats put a guide in the water to tow the flag for you.

I think I am planning on using Ft. Lauderdale as home base and drive to dive. Any better idea?

So with that week being the first week of lobster season... Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

So with that week being the first week of lobster season... Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

The boats can be a little crowded the first week of regular lobster season since recreational divers want to get as many bugs as possible before the commercial guys get them all. Sort of like opening day of deer season in other parts of the country. You might want to make your dive boat reservations early to ensure you get on the boat/trip that looks most interesting to you. BTW, in Palm Beach County or Pompano, if you do get shut out of your preferred trip, you can call one of Force-E's shops (they have three locations) and describe the type of trip you want and they can probably find a boat for you. They act as a broker for a couple dozen boats in south Florida.

...I am looking for recommendations

Just two.
1) Since you probably own a drysuit, enjoy diving in a teeshirt in our 80 degree water that week.
2) No you can't wear a speedo on the boat.

Viz should be incredible so if you don't like lobster (yes you can catch them with an online license or lions W/O), but bring a camera. Lotta cool big stuff that you don't see in your CA zipcode to share with Cali-friends.

P.S. I'm a big kelp, many times Santa Barbara Isles lover.

Keith,

My wife and I fly into Ft. Lauderdale and drive down to Key Largo and do a couple of days of diving. Sometimes we stay in Homestead due to KL prices are high for the hotels, and some really need a makeover. Then, we head up to Pompano and do some wreck and drift dives for a couple of days. We usually end the trip by hitting the BHB, we are both into photography/video, so it makes for a relaxing dive to end the trip.

We usually stay at the Beachcomber when we are in Pompano, and dive with Pompano Dive Center, Pompano Dive Center If you are the first to book a trip, you pick the location. The diving is a little more intense in Pompano than you find in Key Largo, in my opinion, usually more waves and current. Also, It is not a bad drive to the bridge from Pompano. For diving the Bridge, ForceE is the way to go.

We try to make at least 5-6 trips a year for diving in FL, and no matter where we stayed or who we dove with, we have always had a great time.

Enjoy the trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom