Florida offshore oil rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on, you know it was the ascending to a higher level
that got you tired.:D

But I'm still going to ignore you.:
D

You said that on your last post, yet here you are again. Do you actually know the meaning of the words you are using :laughing:

Seems a lot of countires are. Cash buys food but only if there is some to be bought.

Ag economist: World grain demand straining U.S. supply
Yes, everybody knows that supplies are strained, which the linked article points out nicely. And everybody knows that the United States is an exporter. But which oil exporting countries are dependent upon the United States for food? If push comes to shove, who do you think gets scarce food, Bangladesh or Saudi Arabia? Nepal or Qatar?

It is worth pointing out that nobody has accused any of the oil exporting companies of withholding supply--in contrast with the oil embargo of the 1970s--they are just selling to the highest bidder. Isn't that what capitalism is all about?

I've never seen pics of wheat fields, corn fields, or rice paddies in the mideast. Wonder why?
I don't wonder at all. Your knowledge of the world seems to begin and end with your little corner of Pennsylvania and wherever you can drive your big truck to from there. Broaden your horizons a little. Check the CIA factbook on-line. With a little research, you will find that countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran do in fact have wheat fields. I can't provide pictures, but if you can read, you can find the evidence you need.

I don't wonder at all. Your knowledge of the world seems to begin and end with your little corner of Pennsylvania and wherever you can drive your big truck to from there. Broaden your horizons a little. Check the CIA factbook on-line. With a little research, you will find that countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran do in fact have wheat fields. I can't provide pictures, but if you can read, you can find the evidence you need.

I'm sure with all your worldly knowledge you have no clue how much money and to what countries our foreign aide goes to.:D

Iran- imports food and gasoline. Their Air Force is slowly depreciating for lack of
parts. Etc,etc etc,:D

This was a start for you. Your homework is to complete the list.

Hopefully you will except this assignment and enlighten the rest.
We do know the answer already so no cheating.:wink:

I have been out for a few days and I have enjoyed reading all of the recent comments.

A few people have made the point that there have been no recent oil spills in the Gulf. And since there have been no recent oil spills, there is little chance of an impact to the environment.

Here is an article that discusses oil pipeline leaks from oil platforms in the Gulf as a result of Hurricane Ivan. This article was from 2004. Ivan Causes Oil Pipeline Leaks in Gulf (washingtonpost.com)

Every time I go diving off the coast of Florida I am reminded that there are some things more important than the problems of our generation. There was something greater than any person or nation that created the reefs and the shoreline that decorate our planet. And my belief is that we should protect our shores and our reefs. They were here long before any of us. We will decide how they will remain after we are gone.

JRScuba:
I'm sure with all your worldly knowledge you have no clue how much money and to what countries our foreign aide goes to.

Iran- imports food and gasoline. Their Air Force is slowly depreciating for lack of
parts. Etc,etc etc,

This was a start for you. Your homework is to complete the list.

Hopefully you will except this assignment and enlighten the rest.
We do know the answer already so no cheating.
An aide is an assistant, like a nurse's aide. You meant foreign aid. :wink:

Depreciating means lessening of value or price. You probably meant deteriorating. :wink:

Except means to exclude. You meant accept. :wink:

Do you have a high school diploma? A GED? I don't think you're in any position to be giving out homework. :wink:

I support increased exploration and drilling for oil domestically, which I stated earlier in this thread:

vladimir:
Rick makes good points and, in my opinion, increased domestic oil production would be a part of a comprehensive energy policy.

You are missing my point. I am addressing the ludicrous notion that the United States can coerce oil-exporting countries to sell below market prices by withholding food exports, put forth here:

JimLap:
It will lower prices when the Saudi's see that unless they drop theirs in a few years they can eat the oil they produce when we say guess what? No oil, well we're keeping all of our wheat.

Without a doubt many oil-exporting countries are not self-sufficient agriculturally. I'm also sure many import from the United States. But if they didn't get it from us, they would get it from somebody else. Food gets sold to the highest bidder, for the most part, just as oil does. (Although there are many more market distortions due to subsidies and other protectionist measures.)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom