Florida Living

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yet another storm blows through thats three days running we have lost power and cable. Todays started just as we left the cinema and was going for dinner, one look at the sky and we decided we had better head for home.
I have never seen anything like it, to the west dark clouds to the east lighter clouds and where they meet was a vertical line going straight down to the ground and lightning strikes one after the other.
The five mile westerly drive home was not to bad until about one mile from the house, then the first thing I saw was emergency vehicles going into a baseball field then right after that traffic lights out and the barriers for a railroad crossing at the other side of the intersection were down and the lights flashing (no train). The intersection was a real mess so I decided to take a easy way out and do a detour to the north...right into the two cloud formation with lightning coming down like rain. All other traffic lights out but got home eventually.
I turned on the news when I got home to find one tornado touched down, numerous funnel clouds and a old folks home was hit by lightning (just after I had passed it) and started a five alarm fire. 1600 lightning strikes in one hour.
Just another day in paradise :D

Yeah, we had the same situation a few days ago. My kids came running in the house and said "The lady next door (we just moved in a day or two before this) says there's a tornado outside". Went outside, and sure enough a good sized twister was about 2-3 miles away.

It really surprised me because tornados are not common around here. We watched it for about 5 minutes before it broke up.

Welcome to Florida:

We have hurricaines, tornados, wild fires, all kinds of nasty bugs, aligators, sharks, riptides, only state in U.S. that is home to all four poisoness snakes located in all of North America (rattlesnake, cotton mouth, copperhead and coral), most lightening strikes than any place else in the world, sink holes, flash flooding, 100 % humidity... I am sure I missed a few others.

SpaceCase:
Welcome to Florida:

We have hurricaines, tornados, wild fires, all kinds of nasty bugs, aligators, sharks, riptides, only state in U.S. that is home to all four poisoness snakes located in all of North America (rattlesnake, cotton mouth, copperhead and coral), most lightening strikes than any place else in the world, sink holes, flash flooding, 100 % humidity... I am sure I missed a few others.
Tourists.

snowbirds

White tank top, capri pants, designer flip flops. A deep tan.

This is considered *formal* wear. Replace capri pants with miniskirt or shorts for "business casual".

cheers

Billy S.

I've wanted to move south..but, all that has stopped me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom