Florida Keys or Caribbean for PADI referral for teenager?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mpauline

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking for a destination to take my 14 year old daughter to do her PADI OW Referral. I am an inexperienced diver, 50 dives, but have dove the West Coast of Canada, Fiji and the Brother Islands. Would like to find somewhere that we both enjoy and is a good entry into the dive world for my daughter. Any suggestions on Caribbean or Florida destinations and dive charters would really be appreciated.

Budget is economy not luxury.

Thanks,

Mark

The Florida Keys would probably be a better choice since you are on a budget. I use Rainbow Reef in Key Largo when I go down because they have guides in the water at no extra cost, but there are allot of great ops in the area. Key largo is about 1 1/2 hr from Fort Lauderdale airport. Which is cheaper to fly into than Miami or Key West. There are hotels at the marina so you can walk to the boat. You may also try posting on Florida Conch Divers, to get more feedback

Dive Key Largo, Islamorada, Florida Keys with Rainbow Reef Dive Center;scuba diving:diving, Florida keys, florida diving

My son was certified by Dressel Divers at Iberostar Cozumel in 2010. We had a great time on Cozumel and Dressel Divers was outstanding. The diving was awesome. The instructors (yes, there are several) were very good, very patient, and very thorough. The price for the trip was very reasonable. Iberostar Cozumel is the southern-most resort on the island which means it is closer to the best reefs than any other resort. It is a 5 minute boat ride to most reefs and they come back to the resort between dives. This means no bouncing around on the boat for a 60 minute surface interval. Message me if you have any questions.

Mark,

Another destination would be West Palm Beach. With the Blue Heron Bridge option there, it makes a nice, safe entry into the salt world without being nervous about a "boat dive" right away. Lots of options as far as charters and instructors. We head over there quite a bit and do classes and would be happy to assist you. Just message if you have any questions.

DeAnn

West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale and the Keys would make a very nice trip. There is a wealth of dive sites that you could visit on a Tour South Florida type trip.

Whichever location you decide, have plenty of fun.

With the Blue Heron Bridge option there, it makes a nice, safe entry into the salt world without being nervous about a "boat dive" right away...

I don't see why one should be nervous about a boat dive. There are numerous shallow dive spots along the southeast coast. In 15-30 feet of water, they are perfect for less experienced divers, that would still like to see fantastic reefs and sea life both large and small. For divers of more slight build, it's a lot easier to stride off a boat then walk down to the shore lugging equipment. Most of these spots are located in the Deerfield, Pompano, and Lauderdale area which is well south of Riviera Beach, home of the Blue Heron Bridge.

Some don't have any problems with boat dives, but some students would rather do their first "check out" dive without the added stress of a boat to start off with. We have even had experienced divers appreciate getting back into the swing of things by going off at BHB or a shore dive prior to a dive charter, gives them a chance to get properly weighted, get more comfortable again with their equipment so they can relax and enjoy the dive charter also saves some money!

That depends on the person. My son and I, several years apart, learned in a pool then went straight to boat dives and had no problem at all. When doing shore dives I've seen people very intimidated by the rolling waves and the weight of all that gear. Smaller people can have great trouble dealing with waves along shore, so boat dives are easier IF it's not rough out in deep water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom