Best Dive resort in the Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishCaliSean

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking for an all in Dive resort in the Florida Keys.

West coast diver here looking for a week long trip in the Keys for some warm water diving at the end of January. I really need someone who has done a trip like this, to help me with some recommendations. Some key considerations:
  1. I would like it to be as easy and dive focussed as possible. Up in the morning, grab some food and jump on the boat or walk right into the water.
  2. I would like have a dive locker or VERY easy way to deal with my gear at the end of each day and not lug it up to the room to hang in my shower overnight.
  3. I would like to get in about 12-14 total dives, some reefs, some wrecks. Probably 1-2 night dives would be nice.
  4. I don't want a live aboard at this time.
I cant seem to find inclusive dive resorts like you tend to find in Belize/Cozumel/Roatan etc. Does such a thing exist in Florida?

If not what places come close? I did find the Amoray which sounds pretty close to what I was thinking, but is there anything else out there?

For reference I have been diving for about a year and am AOW certified, working on Resuce diver currently.

Thanks to anyone willing to give me some local tips and experiences.

Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Resort was the closest I ever found to a Caribbean Experience in Key Largo.

Things may have changed since I worked in Key Largo as an instructor, and maybe there is another place that suits your needs.

I had the opportunity to vacation at Amoray when my flight attendant girlfriend wanted a Caribbean dive trip leaving from Dallas, TX. Flights were pretty full where we planned to go, so we went to Miami, rented an SUV, and stayed at Amoray. The boat was close to our room. The room and the property reminded me of the Caribbean. We did 2 dives each day because she wanted a vacation, not a dive trip. The only thing we didn't have was a restaurant on the property. We went to Publix to get snacks and food for breakfast and lunch. We'd go out for romantic dinners in the evening. She was happy just to sit on the beach with her coffee.

We didn't use a diving locker, but they may have had them.

The one thing about the Keys is that you have more opportunities to dive and dive at night. Lots of operations close by, and it is really easy to call around if there is something you'd really like to do.

Maybe others have better ideas?

Thanks for the details Trace! I called Amoray this morning to get some pricing details. It sounds like we could do 2 trips a day with them, 2 tanks each trip.

Maybe we could jump out to some other local shops for a night dive as well.

For what you are seeking Cozumel would be a better location. Water temperature 8° warmer than the Keys in January.
Yeah I would love to do Cozumel but it is a right pain in the ass to get to from the West coast. 20 hours of travel just to get there and then another 20 hours on the return. For a week trip it feels like to much.

Cancun, strangely, has more direct flights from my part of the world that I could make. So I am researching that right now.

2nd Amy Slate's. She no longer owns it. It's been renovated in the last year or two. Been going there since '99. Planning on going back this fall.

Yeah I would love to do Cozumel but it is a right pain in the ass to get to from the West coast. 20 hours of travel just to get there and then another 20 hours on the return. For a week trip it feels like to much.

Cancun, strangely, has more direct flights from my part of the world that I could make. So I am researching that right now.
Because of more flight options and better pricing, many of us do "the bag drag" -- flying into Cancun, then taking a (45-60 minute) ADO bus or shuttle ride to the fast ferry pier in Playa del Carmen, and then the 45 minute ferry ride over to Cozumel. Some people don't like it, but I kind of like getting to see the mainland each way also. Main thing is to book your return flight around 1 p.m. or later to allow plenty of time on the way back.

Seemed a little bit daunting the first time, but it's really pretty simple. Not really any more hassle than renting a car at MIA or FLL and driving to Key Largo. Edit: When we flew into FLL in April, we had to wait in line over an hour at the rental car place before we got our car.

Oh…don’t go to Cancun…

I live in South Fla. Have not tried Amoray but some friends have. According to them = okay.

I’d get a dive package from Rainbow Reef and stay at the Marriott (right near the docks). The hotel is part of the package. Some people like RR some people hate them. I have had good dives and bad dives with them. Going again tomorrow. If you go with RR, try to reserve dives on the smaller (less people) boats.

Or…find 4 other divers and dive with Quiescence (the best, in my opinion). 6 pack boat. Will take up to 6. $cost/6 is best but you can go with two to 6. You pay for the entire (small) boat and they take you where you want to go (wrecks or reefs or both).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom