Florida Keys Diving - Good or Bad? Heard mixed reports, help please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, can anyone give some detailed info on diving off Key Largo? We've been hearing some bad reports about the diving, things such as "it's not the Caribbean" and "the viz sucks." I'm heading down there next month for a long weekend, just wanted to see if I should lug all my gear down too. We're a little spoiled, have been diving all over the Caribbean and one liveaboard in Palau. Thanks! :dazzler1:

Moved to Florida Conch Divers forum for more local perspective, post a new intro if you like. Welcome to the board.

As for your question, whilst i have dove in the Keys a few times, i couldnt compare it to the Caribbean and such as i havent been there. I do recall the shallow dives were pretty reasonable, say 80ft viz, the deeper wrecks were a little less, maybe 50ft - of course this could vary and chances are at the moment that you could get some swell out there as a front passes through.

Key Largo rules! Only a truly spoiled diver who has seen it all and is in it for perfect photo ops and perfect viz would say the Keys suck.

The viz may get as bad as 30 feet, but can be as good as 100. There may be some current that deserves respect, and there may not. There will probably be a fair amount of backscatter in your photos unless you are both good and lucky.

The Keys are also a lot closer, easier, and cheaper to dive than the Carribean. I have been several times, and would go much more often if I didn't have to drive past all those pretty caves to get to them.

theskull

theskull:
The Keys are also a lot closer, easier, and cheaper to dive than the Carribean. I have been several times, and would go much more often if I didn't have to drive past all those pretty caves to get to them.
Just close your eyes as you pass exits for I-10 and High Springs. Pretend its a blackout drill, let the line in the middle of the road guide you :wink:

Honestly, if you have been diving in Palau and other carib destinations, don't get your hopes up for Key largo. Diving there *is* good- and I would recommend taking your gear if you are heading nearby- but it is not the caribbean and if you are expecting that standard, then you will be dissapointed.

There is lots of marine life, and some nice corals, and fantastic wrecks, but I would maybe say grade it down to a 7 with the good carib being a 10. If you do decide to take your gear- try to get to the speigal- now that does beat teh caribbean :)

The keys is one of my favorite dive locations just because it's so near to me. The diving is good, the reefs aren't comparable to caribbean diving but the wreck diving is among the best. The speigal, duane, bibb, eagle (my favorite), A.B, Thunerbolt, cayman salvor and too many more. I've seen the vis at 20 feet but then again at more than 100 feet. February isn't really the best time to go either, the seas are generally rough and for a FL diver like me it's cold. The summer is when the vis is the best and seas are calmer.

ScubaPuppies:
Hi everyone, can anyone give some detailed info on diving off Key Largo? We've been hearing some bad reports about the diving, things such as "it's not the Caribbean" and "the viz sucks." I'm heading down there next month for a long weekend, just wanted to see if I should lug all my gear down too. We're a little spoiled, have been diving all over the Caribbean and one liveaboard in Palau. Thanks! :dazzler1:

My wife and I, while we were unable to go diving in Key Largo, we did go snorkeling. We had a wonderful time. Lots of sea life: barracudas, nurse sharks, Elizabethian concs, lobsters, schools of various other fish. Plus the "Christ Of The Abyss" is fun to check out. I truly believe anything is what you make of it. We plan on a return trip to go scuba diving there. I know that it will be worthwhile. I hope you go and enjoy. :dazzler1:

Best diving you can drive to.

Depends too on how much reef diving you've done I guess. It can be good or it can be terrible. One of the benefits of going like to the Caymans you can dive somewhere good regardless the weather. Keys are very very weather dependent. My experience says avoid winter and early spring, or its a crapshoot depending on winds. I've had great trips and some it was NADA...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom