florida gulf coast dive boat?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am moving to Pensacola and am looking to purchase a boat for myself and small group of friends to use to dive on the local offshore dive sites ( with 25 miles.). I am originally from Ohio and have no idea what type of boat to look into buying. My budget in less than 30,000. If anyone can point me in the right direction to start my research it would be a huge help... Happy diving yall!!!

My advise is to first consider how many people will be going out.
Figure that weight + the weight of any/all gear taken.
Add say 25% fudge factor for say, steel tanks, an extra person etc.

Then select a model with enough seaboard to be able to withstand 6-8' seas without power.
Two motors will always be better than one. If one dies you can limp her home.
A radio with more range capacity than the distance you anticipate traveling is good.
Cell phones only work where there are towers to support them.

Self deploying life raft shouldn't be overlooked.
EPIRB's are a necessity when sight of land no longer exists.
This actually occurs sooner than you might think on open water.
An ample First Aid kit and O2 if deep or deco dives are planned.
Fresh drinking water, 1 gallon per person min.
Comfortable life jackets should be considered as well.

Always be sure that the vessel has someone staying on board.
I can't stress how urgent it is that this person be able to operate the vessel.
The last thing you need is to end a dive 15-20 miles from land to find that your
boat has come loose from it's mooring and drifted off.

These are all well thought out minimums for any craft I personally
step foot onto, with intentions or possibility of losing site of land.

At least 21 foot minimum.

In addition to Brew...'s equipment, I suggest a GPS (preferably panel mounted and weatherproofed) with updated maritime data for your area, a DAN kit, binoculars, and any safety/distress equipment required or even recommended by the Coast Guard. I was born and raised of the Gulf of Mexico. Most of the time she is tame. When she is riled, she is vicious.

About the question of distance and horizon: On a perfectly clear day with no mist or haze, a building or bridge 30 feet above the surface will disappear over the horizon in about ten miles.

Hate to say it, but 30K isn't going to get the job done. You are looking at a 25' boat minimum. If it's powered by a single, it better be reliable (that means low hours and well maintained). 25 miles offshore is no place to find out. In the gulf, routinely running out 25-50 miles, you had better have twins. A 25' cat is a good option. Keep in mind the fuel for a boat like that is going to be max 3 mph.

Good luck.

Actually you can dive many Gulf sites with a 17' Boston Whaler Montauk. For many years we did just that. It was long ago but I doubt the ocean has changed that much. What works for a professional dive boat for hire is not what a fellow needs for personal use for himself and a buddy or two. Now everybody has to have three engines and 30 feet of water line.

A center console of 19 to 22 feet, a single engine, radio and sonar/gps with data base is sufficient for exploring many sites, diving and fishing and can still be stored in a garage and towed by normal vehicles. The 30,000 should pick up a good, late model used boat of this type.

N

Except for the 25 mile part. Just saying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom