Florida Divers Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bug man

Registered
Reaction score
:D I am a relative new diver and am looking to get a new wet suit i was wondering if A 3MM will do i for me... i really dont plan on going deeper than 150 and most dives will be between 50-80 and in florida waters only.
Thanks Guys

Not really a question we can answer, everyone has their own personal prefferences. Personally, I dive a 3mm, hoodvest, gloves, and thin booties down into the mid 50ºsF, but most don't consider that ample :wink:

Be sure to get the correct training before going to 150', if you truly are 'new'. You probably shouldn't be going further than the rec limit of 130'...

i am particulalry sensitive to cold, and a 3mm farmer john and hood has
gotten me through the springs (about 70 F), which is about the coldest
water aound here unless you dive North Florida in winter

if so, you will be diving in about 55-60 F, in which case i'd use
a drysuit :wink:

Well I don't care to much for cold water and have a few combinations for diving here in Florida. During the summer I'm in a skin, then slowly migrate to my full 2mil and then add my 3mil shortie and hood on top of all that. I'm able to handle low 70's to upper 60's water.

Good Diving,
Capt Gary

Actually, that's not limited to North Florida - it's the gulf in general, in winter here, you will also get 55-60f. Last year I dove that in a 3mm john/jacket with a 3m shorty under it.

H2Andy:
i am particulalry sensitive to cold, and a 3mm farmer john and hood has
gotten me through the springs (about 70 F), which is about the coldest
water aound here unless you dive North Florida in winter

if so, you will be diving in about 55-60 F, in which case i'd use
a drysuit :wink:

Florida has some strange water temp swings. Right now, it's 78 -80° down to 100'. In the winter, it has gotten down to 56° at depth, and that's just in the past couple of years that I've been down here. I wear a 1mm that is more for protection against critters swimming into me than thermal considerations. When it's colder, I'll layer this under a 3/2mm and use a hood.
A 3mm right now in southern Florida would be way more suit than is needed; in January, at night, your chattering teeth prepping for the second dive would wake the dead.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom