Florida Diver Attacked

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has nothing to do with how I feel I should eat my fish... sharks these days are being pressured so they move in to shore to find their food. A spear fisherman is only asking for it due to this clear ecological change so I feel absolutely zero remorse.

You are entitled to feel however you want. But then choosing to broadcast it crosses the line. Now I have the right to tell you how I feel about your choice! And “remorse” isn’t even appropriate unless you were chumming the water. Perhaps empathy, or consolation.

Let me try to be as nice as possible. I have more respect for this spear fisherman than you. A person to who chooses to openly show negatively to someone who fell victim to an accident. Do you also openly troll people injured by other activities? Motorcycle accidents, football injuries, bike riders, base jumpers? All taking well known, and calculated risks.

You are entitled to feel however you want. But then choosing to broadcast it crosses the line. Now I have the right to tell you how I feel about your choice! And “remorse” isn’t even appropriate unless you were chumming the water. Perhaps empathy, or consolation.

Let me try to be as nice as possible. I have more respect for this spear fisherman than you. A person to who chooses to openly show negatively to someone who fell victim to an accident. Do you also openly troll people injured by other activities? Motorcycle accidents, football injuries, bike riders, base jumpers? All taking well known, and calculated risks.
Agreed - a better way to say it might be that one should not be surprised when a spearfisherman gets bitten by a shark as it is an inherent risk in the activity. However, I still have some sympathy when it actually happens to someone. Personally, it is not a risk I'd be willing to take and won't even dive around folks who are spearfishing - but... if they are OK with it, then it's their choice.

Would he continue to be unworthy of any sympathy?

My mother thinks anyone who is silly enough to swim in water that may have sharks in it deserves whatever they get.

Whenever I see a news report of a shark "attack" on a diver, I immediately look for the word "spearfishing." If I don't find the word spearfishing in the news story, I check on Scubaboard for further details. Usually, it doesn't take long for the word "spearfishing" to pop up.

I am not against spearfishing in principle, if you're going to eat what you kill. But the one thing I am pretty sure of is that you wanted to provoke a shark "attack" deliberately, there'd be no better way than to spear a fish, and when a shark shows up, get into a fight with the shark over "your" prey. Just curious -- what is the spearfishing diver's SOP in the event that a shark tries to claim your prize? Is it to turn over the fish, or to resist?

Whenever I see a news report of a shark "attack" on a diver, I immediately look for the word "spearfishing." If I don't find the word spearfishing in the news story, I check on Scubaboard for further details. Usually, it doesn't take long for the word "spearfishing" to pop up.

The most recent fatality I am aware of was the girl in the Bahamas, who was not Spearfishing.

I am not against spearfishing in principle, if you're going to eat what you kill. But the one thing I am pretty sure of is that you wanted to provoke a shark "attack" deliberately, there'd be no better way than to spear a fish, and when a shark shows up, get into a fight with the shark over "your" prey. Just curious -- what is the spearfishing diver's SOP in the event that a shark tries to claim your prize? Is it to turn over the fish, or to resist?
It sounds like you are “pretty sure” about sharks, spearfishing and attacks. How did you gain your perspective on this topic?

I think she views some risks as avoidable and others requisite to be engaged within the existing socio-economic structure.

I think she views some risks as avoidable and others requisite to be engaged within the existing socio-economic structure.

Yup. All risks associated with scuba diving - from DCS to shark attacks - are completely avoidable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom