florida destinations for the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to compare east/west like this:

The east coast diving is like a zoo: pretty, but crowded
West coast is like the jungle: always an adventure. You'll rarely see the big fish you find commonly around here. ie, on any dive other than the shark's tooth dive, you can just about bet you'll see a monster jewfish. I've seen as many as 8 in the 300-600lb range on one dive.

I fly into Ft Myers frequenty and have relatives in Sarasota, so concur with the previous posts. Head south down I-75 cut across aligator alley to Lauderdale and then you can decide if you want to cut off south down to the keys. I say about 5-6 hours drive from Sarasota and your in divers heaven! Live is short fire up your wheels and go for it!!

wow, great feedback.

I see a little bit of direction coming to my plans.
First off, we're not really into wreck diving that much. We're much more into the shallow reef habitats. We are rec divers with average experience
The posts have been enlightening.
I had always thought Key West would be the obvious place to go. I guess it's sounding like Key Largo and/or Marathon.
So maybe I could ask the question now this way - If you folks who know the area had three days to dive shallow reefs in the Keys, which sites and operators would you recommend? Also, any good recommendation for "family friendly' accomodations?

I'm looking forward to any responses. I can also be emailed directly at amyandbrodie@hotmail.com if anybody needs to.

Thanks!

Pretty much all the reefs in the Upper Keys are shallow, but spectacular. Definitely request Molasses Reef off of Key Largo. Since the wrecks are so great in that area, most charters will do their 2 tank trips as wreck/wreck or wreck/reef, but I am sure they will do two reefs as well. Again, I recommend Silent World for Key Largo diving.

Another thought would be to contact www.aquasafari.net which is a dive travel agency run by a friend named Dave Oaks. Any time a group of us in PB want to head to the Keys, we have Dave set it all up for us. He works with all the dive operators, hotels and resturants and can customize the trip for your needs, budget and experience level. Dave is a super nice person and is very efficeint in how he runs his business.

Since Key West is such an amazing place it is hard to tell you to stay north, but if your trip is specifically for diving it is the best advice.

Good luck

Oh, one more thing. As I mentioned in yesterday's post we get some unique animals off of Palm Beach in the winter months. I got a "rub it in" phone call today while I was working from Captain Doug on the Sandy's Sunday. He had his divers in the water snorkling with a Leatherback Turtle. That is probably a once in a lifetime experience!!!!

WPBdiver:
He had his divers in the water snorkling with a Leatherback Turtle. That is probably a once in a lifetime experience!!!!

oh indeed... i'm jealous

leatherbacks are really rare period and really reall really rare close to shore

Where you want to dive in the Keys is based largely on what you want to dive. We have plenty of nice reef and plenty of wrecks, but if you want to focus on one or the other, that will push you toward one end or the other.

IMO, Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary is the prettiest reef down here. If you're into sunken metal (wrecks :wink:), there are a few dives down the Keys and a bunch up the Keys. If you want a good combination of both, I'd head down and dive the Busch and Looe, then go up to Thunderbolt and Sombrero, and finish up in Key Largo with a plethora of wrecks and some nice reefs. Of course you could always do it the other way around and end up in Key West for a big celebratory evening before heading back out.

Anyway, I'd love to take you out and I second (or third) the recommendation for Bluewater Divers in Key Largo. Brent is KeyLargoBrent on the board, I'm sure he'll be along shortly!

Rachel

I can only comment on Looe Key Sanctuary and the Busch ... both really good dives. Rachel can get you to both in one day without pushing it. The reef has GREAT coral and sponges as well as some fun shallow water swimming stuff (turtle, groupers, reef sharks if you look in the right places, and lots of curious barracudas); the wreck is interesting in itself and is well populated. BTW, checkout the Dolphin Research Center on Grassy Key if you're going out that way. Neat organization and fun place to visit.

Interesting how the dives on the West Coast are being discredited by some I'm sure haven't done them (thong-a-long!).

Concurring with Walter and Jeff, the Gulf is in many ways very superior in diving to the east coast. The east coast has pretty close up diving, but the west is more the pelagic habitat with a WIDE variety of dive variation... the east coast is the fun pretty dives that I call aquarium diving. :)

Sorry CBulla but, the two times that I went over looking for something different I got dropped on artificial rockpiles in 30FSW and max 30 foot viz (the DM was thrilled with the viz) after a long boat trip. Saw some big Snook and cool Nudibraches though. Something that you don't see on the east coast. I enjoyed my dives as I always do. I just wouldn't make the drive for mostly the same stuff I can get over here on a bad day. I would like to do a liveaboard at the Proving Grounds. I have heard nothing but great things about the conditions and the hunting there. Maybe there is other great sites or better charters for the normal 2 tank trips. Let me know, I will give it another try.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom