Florida Cave Update?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look up ear infections on the Dan Website.
Here's a some of the explanations from a Diving Doctor for the Navy.
Hope this helps!

Prevention
Otitis externa was so prevalent at the time I entered the Navy that up to 20 percent of all saturation divers were expected to get it. I searched the medical literature and found an article that had the answer: instructors at a summer camp found that dripping an acidic drying solution into the ear at the beginning and end of each day virtually eliminated swimmer's ear in their young charges. The trick, however, was that the solution had to remain in each canal a full five minutes. If this part of the treatment was ignored, ear infections soon reappeared.

To treat the Navy divers I decided to use Otic Domeboro®* Solution: 2 percent acetic acid, water, aluminum acetate, sodium acetate and boric acid. The acid retards bacterial growth, while the aluminum and sodium acetate act as astringents, drawing excess water out of the cells lining the ear canal. We had the divers put this solution in each ear canal twice a day and hold the solutions for at least five minutes at a time, timing them from outside the chamber.

The result? Otitis externa is no longer a problem in Navy saturation divers, and the above external ear prophylaxis remains a standard part of U.S. Navy Saturation diving procedure to this day. It's useful for sport diving, too, when there are frequent dives over several days.

In this area, Ginnie, Manatee and Jug are the only things open. Ginnie's gorgeous, dove it last night. I also stopped by Alachua on the way home and it's black.

River's still a bit high. Not sure how the rain on Sunday played out, aside from depressing the hell out of me all day long.

Any system updates?

Marianna area still looking good.
Jackson Blue flow is up, viz seems to get milky a few days after each rain and then clear up again over the course of a few days.
Hole in the Wall (upstream/right) is good, as is Twin
High-flow river caves are fine (Ebro, Maddachalk)

The Santa Fe came up 2 or 3' over the past few days. Devil's Ear has minimal flow and green water up front, there's also some river intrusion running in the pits at the front of Hill 400 (just past the July Springs jump). It's blue past 2600' though.

Conditions are perfect for a swim to the Henkle and/or Berman Room if you're so inclined. Checked that box today, but I think I'll take a scooter next time.

That was evident on the way back... Still a bit of flow to help out, but it wasn't like JB where you just hang out and eventually end up in the cavern.

Glad you two had a good swim. How long did it take you to get back there?

77 minutes to the Berman Room. 55 minutes back. And then a whole bunch of deco. Pretty cool dive though, thanks for the tips!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom