Florida Bound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hartzler

Reaction score
I live in Michigan and will be doing my open water dives in March in Panama City with my local dive shop Hart City Scuba (Elkhart, IN). I've completed my confined dives here and am looking forward to becoming a competent diver.

My question is this; I will be in Florida again in April on business will be taking a little "Me" time April 12-16. The business takes me to Daytona Beach at the RVIA show at the track. Should I dive Daytona Beach, or, jump in my rental car and go to Jupiter, West palm or even farther south?

I don't want to cruise down to the Keys due to my time limitations. Can ya-all help a yankee out?

Hartzler:
I live in Michigan and will be doing my open water dives in March in Panama City with my local dive shop Hart City Scuba (Elkhart, IN). I've completed my confined dives here and am looking forward to becoming a competent diver.

My question is this; I will be in Florida again in April on business will be taking a little "Me" time April 12-16. The business takes me to Daytona Beach at the RVIA show at the track. Should I dive Daytona Beach, or, jump in my rental car and go to Jupiter, West palm or even farther south?

I don't want to cruise down to the Keys due to my time limitations. Can ya-all help a yankee out?
If you did drive south... what would you hope to see more of? Great coral, sponge life, small fish, large fish? If you help narrow it down, as to what you'd prefer, then it's easier to recommend someplace, as the coastal diving varies even between jupiter to Boca.

Hartzler,
I hope you have more luck than me. A bunch of my colleagues also dive and we were psyched to finally be travelling to Fort Lauderdale this January on business to get in a rare dive. Being the most experienced of the bunch, I booked the dives and arranged gear rental. The day we arrived, the only day we had free, the seas were 5-6 feet and the trip was scrubbed. Major bummer.

Bobby

Hello Yanke friend,
If you dive in the ocean there is always a chanch that it might get scrubed out. But there are a lot dive boats that whate a little longer befor thay do that. In West palm beach thear is a grate dive shop that makes resavations on at least five defernt boats. Thay are very nice respected people and a top line LDS. [FORCE E]. Thay well have all you need at moments notes. You call 10 min befor the boat leaves and you are on it, if there is a spot. I don't always have a buddy to dive with and thay have allways got me on. Grate dives too. Drift and recks. Have a grate time drope me a line if you need help with this.

Well, that helps a bit. What I'd like to see is fish more than anything else. Up here Paddlefish are "Big Game" so I'd want to see colorful, vibarant coral and fish.

I'd still like a little more help in destination planning. It will be mid-April. Ive heard drift diving is the way to go in Jupiter, but I'm open to anything. I'm a cherry-diver so I'll only have just received my Open Water designation.

Honestly Hartzler, the drift diving in Boynton Beach, is some of the best anywhere around. I have dived from Jupiter to Key West, and the best reefs with the most color and sea life is in Boynton (just south of WPB). We drift dive there, and we go there usually once a week, and we live and dive as well in Fort Lauderdale.

The main differences between Jupier and Boynton, I have spelled out before, but mainly, Jupiter is a deeper reef 75-90 FSW, with larger fish, and very little other than hard coral. But the ledges are very dramatic, and there are large fish, like sharks, turtles, rays, and more.

In Boynton, the reef is shallower 50-70 FSW and there's a lot more sponges, macro photography ops, schooling reef fish, and the occasional turtle or other large critter.

That's my synopsis for you.

Fort Lauderdale - there's quite a few wrecks, and there is a large reef system there too, but it doesn't have the sponge life that Boynton has.

Everyone writes about the Keys, but IMO, Boynton is the best... Call my favorite dive op. http://splashdowndivers.com

Hey Hartzler,
I second and third Howarde, on Splashdown divers and I do the trip from Wisconsin! I am sure in April you could get a dive or two in! Boynton Beach is not a bad drive and they can point out some places to stay at,
Florida has lots of places to dive and most are GREAT! as a newer diver you will have fun on their boat, Let em know your new at a drift dive,Boat dive, and you will be hooked up with some fine folks! and get some great dives in!
I have done dives with opps out of WPB to the Keys and some boats were fun and some were lame,Thease folks work with you to have a great SAFE & FUN time ! heck the locals drive from all over to dive with them so they got to be good!
I am sure if you look at Howards web site he has tons of photos of the Boynton area reefs that keep me coming back,
Dive safe and good luck on that c-card!
and LakeMichigan has some Great diving too but you need some cold water gear!
Brad

Excellent feedback. That makes Boynton sound like what I'm looking for.

Since I'm new the shallower dive fits me better. Splashdown looks like a great prospect. Any ideas on a cheap, clean and safe hotel/motel?

See their site,Boynton is not a big tourist area, as to hotels there are several,
This is one of the last burbs left and not for long till its blasted full of condos!
Two Georges,Huricane alley man some great food and some great drinks and the locals the best folks around! THE BEST!
Enjoy,Brad
Just a photo of a Great Boynton Beach fishing charter heading out! Hamer Time-this guy get fish! And most folks dont know is a great diver!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom