Flooded Snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-sass

Wreckmaniac Extrordinaire
Reaction score
Walter described the following procedure in another thread:

Breathing Through a Flooded Snorkel:
Take a simple snorkel with no purge valves or other additions - a simple tube with a mouthpiece. Flood it so that water completely blocks the bottom curve (a clear "J" helps). Breathe through the snorkel.

I'm afraid I'm still a little unclear on how exactly to accomplish this. Can you, Walter, or anyone else clear this up? Do you mean to purge the snorkel first? The implication above is "no", but I'm clueless as to anyother way to make it happen.

Obviously, this task is NOT something I was taught in my OW course! :)

BTW, Walter listed several other skills that I was never taught, but am certainly going to try the next time I get in a pool. Perhaps he would review them here, in this (hopefully) less incendiary thread.

I'd also love to hear from others who have "fun" skills that they practice regularly to maintain a secure comfort level under water. Afterall, it's not just about all the pretty fishies!

Happy Diving,

Scuba-sass :)

Originally posted by scuba-sass
I'm afraid I'm still a little unclear on how exactly to accomplish this. Can you, Walter, or anyone else clear this up? Do you mean to purge the snorkel first? The implication above is "no", but I'm clueless as to anyother way to make it happen.
If you take a slow, calm breath while using your tongue as a splashguard the water can burgle in the "trap" of the snorkel. This way you can breathe without water being drawn to the back of your throat, which would cause you to cough.

Roak

Where you fired a round so the recoil could help pull extract a bayonet after the enemy soldiers stomach muscles tightened around it.

The idea is if you attempt to clear it but it does not clear completly you can take a breath (without lifting your head from the water and finish clearing.

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
The idea is if you attempt to clear it but it does not clear completly you can take a breath (without lifting your head from the water and finish clearing.

I guess. But when I clear my snorkle I always have enough breath to try and clear it again a couple of times. Seems to me a more important skill is simply clearing the snorkle using a small amount of breath.

Darryl

It is also useful in snorkles with purges. If the purge is damaged or the tube of the snorkle gets cracked you would still be able to use it if you needed it.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom