Flooded Camera Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bogie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Flooded my camera SeaLife DC1200.

I don't understand why they don't make point and shoot cameras, at least, water resistant so they can handle a little water.

Is there any hope that it might live?

I let it dry for several days. No life.

Can a flooded camera be repaired or is it over?

Any advice.

If it was flooded in Saltwater and you just let it dry without rinsing in freshwater followed by cleaning with alcohol it is toast. The salt corrodes the electronics and once that happens replacement is usually the only thing you can do. Even cleaning it only has about a 10% success rate. Sorry. How did this happen?

I have had this happen with other electronics. Go to a hobby store like Joanne's and pick up a bag of desicant put the camera in a plastic bag put a bunch of desicant in it and put the camera in it. The desicant will pull all the moisture out of the camera.

Desicant is used in hobbies to dry out leaves and flowers.

Good luck!!

Also if the camera is corroded from salt, the only option would be to open it up and clean up the circuit boards with a circuit wash. But depending on the amount of water the optics may be a mess.

I think your best bet is to throw yourself on the mercy of the manufacturer. Depending on how it happened, they may help.

I replacement cameras without housing for sell on ebay @ $250.

Electronic components are wafer thin and have all sorts of micro circuitry. Sea water is amazingly corrosive. It is generally a fatal combination.

If you got the camera from a local dealer, take it in and tell your story. Dealers can sometimes get the manufacturer to replace something in this situation especially if it was possible that the housing was at fault. If it was a blunder on your part, well you are probably out of luck. But you could still say that and see if the dealer can get you something... such as price off on a replacement.

I flooded my DC1000 in Bonaire. Got it out and dried it off after rinsing in fresh water. It was toast. When we got back, my LDS sent it back to SeaLife and they fixed it for $50.00.

Sea water and cameras are a bad mix, like oil and water. The circuitry and optics and thin and light weig0ht and sea water is corrosive. The you add in the effect that an electrical charge is going from your battery across the circuits and it's having fun with the sea water. SO....... I would get it looked at by SeaLife and be ready to shell out for a fix or a replacement if the LDS/dealer can't help you.

I've sent in thru my LDS and, since I live 70 miles from the LDS, I've sent direct. They've always been very nice.

I have flooded 3 cameras so far. Just flooded my Dc1000 again.. no fault of my own this time, made the mistake of letting my boat captain close it as I was in the water and set my video up wrong. Should have done it myself!. If you send it back to Sealife, they charge $135.00 to repair. Is it still under warranty? You have a year warranty on it. I too wish they would make the inner camera water resistant at least.

If you don't close the housing a certain way, it will flood. You have to snap the black part in first, then let the red part snap in place on it's own when you apply pressure to the black part of the latch. I also hold the housing tight when I do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom