Flooded 1st Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is not a "normal" operation of a reg. It gave you a warning that something was wrong and you didn't heed it, or you would have never gotten into the water with it. Now that you know what a normal regulator functions like, next time something like a regulator malfunctions abort the dive immediately, of which it sounds like is your future plans.

Actually it is a 'feature' of all Sherwood regs developed to reduce the chance of a first stage from freezing and to keep the chamber clean.

OP description of the problem doesn't make sense though. If the first stage fails then there should be problems with both primary 2nd stage and backup 2nd stage. Sounds like there might be 2 sets of problems occurring concurrently with this reg set.

Remember you can always tell when your regs are going to fail because it's often right after you get them back from being serviced :wink:

Last edited:
The bubbles are from HP air bleeding into the ambient chamber, and bubbling out as the pressure in the chamber equalizes with ambient pressure. This is how IP is maintained at a given pressure above ambient, with a nice dry chamber. Lets say at the surface the IP is 135 PSI. At 33 ft, it needs to be about 150 to stay 135 above ambient, at 66 ft 165, etc....the air bleeding into the chamber ensures this. If you noticed the bubbling stopped, it meant that air was no longer equalizing pressure in the ambient chamber, and if you then went a bit deeper, the IP would not rise with the change in ambient pressure, or at least would rise more slowly. This would definitely cause more difficult breathing in an unbalanced 2nd stage, which I'm sure the sherwood is.

The wet breathing is probably unrelated, except if, as you mentioned, you're really sucking on it and you pull enough of a vacuum to draw some water in. I guess it's possible, but likely just coincidental.

There is no way water is going to get into the breathing gas path in the 1st stage, unless it comes in from the tank. There's HP air in the 1st stage, any leak will result in violent bubbles of air escaping, not water leaking in. The only place water can enter a pressurized regulator is in the 2nd stage where the air is at ambient pressure.

Sounds like you handled the situation well. Another example of regulator 'failure' not resulting in death!

Just don't put one on a pony.

Why not? I have been using one on mine for some time with no ill effects.

Bob
----------------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom