Floating fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malibugary

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have some Rocket Fins I picked up since the toe box was bigger to fit my Pinnacle boots when diving dry. My other fins Tusa splits are negative but these Rockets are positive. I put a one pound weight on them with the boot slipped in them and they sink with the fin portion slightly elevated. When using the Tusa fins I have no issues but first time I tried these I struggled to keep my trim level. My feet floated excessively high enough that I aborted the dive. I've read so many pros and cons about ankle weights on here and decided to post. Do I have no option but to make some 1 pound weights I can strap on my ankles or make the lead so I can attach it to the fin itself? Or do you think these fins are "flawed" and I should contact Aqua Lung? Just never seen positive fins before but not like I've been diving a long time though.

there are advantages for neutral or positively buoyant fins for certain types of diving. Sidemount and CCR in particular are much easier with neutral to positively buoyant fins to counteract differences in trim when compared to backmount. If you can return the fins you have, I would recommend purchasing Scubapro Jet Fins as they will be negatively buoyant and help bring back the trim that you are used to.

I'll ask the LDS but I doubt I can return them. Couldn't I just attach some lead to the top of the fin above my foot to make them neutral?

I have my original Jet Fins from Scuba Pro that I bought in 1969 for my original YMCA scuba certification. I still have them and I replace the straps once a couple of years. Like roaches they would survive a nuclear bomb.
I did buy a set of the modern Scuba pro split fins several years ago and they are very light and my originals are very negatively buoyant.

If I dive my originals I have to practice in my pool or else I get bad cramps in my calf's. I really like my split fins but you have to get used to the lighter weight. If you practice with them you might get to liking them more.

Remember the less weight you have to deal with the better off you are. I teach a buoyancy control class so my students can learn with practice to shed as much lead as possible.

They don't have the spring straps. These fins seem to make me dive at a 45* rather than being horizontal. It also makes it more difficult for me to keep the air bubble in my suit from going to my feet. Maybe I just need more practice as I only dove the fins twice so far.

no one should have sold you those fins for diving in a drysuit. I'm sorry, but they really don't know what the heck they're doing if they said they would be good for drysuit diving. With backmount, I know of three fins that work well for drysuit diving, Scubapro Jet Fins, Hollis F1's, and Turtle Fins. I don't like Turtle fins because they are too floppy, and the other two is a personal preference toss up. You NEED heavy fins to trim out in a drysuit. The DS should really let you return them if they aren't too scratched up. Unfortunately Aqualung doesn't make anything that is really worthwhile for drysuit diving, but you can hopefully get store credit for them, or bite the bullet and use them for travel fins if you are diving wet.

DGX Classic Fins | Dive Gear Express®
buy those, you'll be much happier

Ill just start using those rocket fins for travel. They are light and compact enough I can stuff everything in a carry on that way. Thanks for the information. I will check out your recommendations.

The Hollis XL fins worked great. Plenty of room for my feet. They aren't smashed in there and fit my size 12 Pinnacle rock boots. The spring strap could be an inch longer but not a deal breaker.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom