Floating fins :0(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoh44

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I've heard of people using ankle weights and never really understood this until this weekend. I have a pair of new hi-viz yellow twin jets. I have black twin jets that I love. The yellows are deffinately floaters. I couldn't keep my stupid legs down. It was a weird and aweful feeling. Will ankle weights "cure" this? Is there anything else I can do? I have some ankle weights, but just the pockets/holders are big and bulky. (don't look comfy at all). Is there a secret trick that I don't know? Sticking weights in booties or something? lol Advice??? Thanks.... Jo

Forgive me if I ask a stupid question, buy why don't you just go back to the black Twin Jets????

the K

Cuz the yellow ones are pretty.... ;0)
Seriously, I could, but I do have a new pair of yellows. I need to learn to use them. I guess this will be one more problem I will know how to handle if I need to when I'm instructing. (and they are pretty...lol)

scubajoh44:
Cuz the yellow ones are pretty.... ;0)
Seriously, I could, but I do have a new pair of yellows. I need to learn to use them. I guess this will be one more problem I will know how to handle if I need to when I'm instructing. (and they are pretty...lol)
Just use one of each. That way you will have a lovely contrast effect between your black fin and your yellow fin and your fin floating problem will be reduced by 50%. :D

LOL. I'll have to try that. Seriously. I wonder who will ask me what in the world I am doing!

Pretty is important in diving. I just sprayed my jets with latex-spray to make them nice and shiny. It's not a fetish. Really.

If you use a floating fin and sinking fin you'll just end up swimming in circles toward the side with the sinking fin. Kinda like ailerons on an airplane.

the K

I was just kidding about using the two different fins.

errrrr.... I mean, kidding about actually USING them. I might put them on for a while and float around.

scubajoh44:
I've heard of people using ankle weights and never really understood this until this weekend. I have a pair of new hi-viz yellow twin jets. I have black twin jets that I love. The yellows are deffinately floaters. I couldn't keep my stupid legs down. It was a weird and aweful feeling. Will ankle weights "cure" this? Is there anything else I can do? I have some ankle weights, but just the pockets/holders are big and bulky. (don't look comfy at all). Is there a secret trick that I don't know? Sticking weights in booties or something? lol Advice??? Thanks.... Jo

Well, first you can get good ankle weights. I have found them but it can be hard at times. The ones that I have always found are a flexible cloth tube that is filled with soft weighting material (sand or shot) and wraps around your ankle. I have found these in 1, 1.5 and 2 lb increments.

Another way to adjust for this is to adjust your trim. You can wear your weights lower (if you wear a belt) or you can do what I did and move you tank down in your rig about 1 inch at a time to see if you can counter the bouyance. I have the same fins that you have and ended up moving my tank down about 1.5 - 2 inches in my harness and it is perfect. I flat totally horizontal with my knees bent when I rest and hover. no problem keeping good trim and depth control while swimming around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom