Floating Feet - need ankle weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankc420:
Slide the tank down a 4-6 inches and if that doesn't help, try putting 1-2lbs toward the bottom of your tank (should be right above your butt), that should get your feet down...

This really depends on the why of 'floaty' feet. If you have a true trim issue, IE feet up/head down not 'floaty' feet, moving the tanks will solve it. If you instead have localized issues, IE boot integrated drysuit trapping air - moving the tank may adjust your overall angle but will not solve the float in the feet issue and may give a worse overall horizontal position.

Again, If you have air trapped in your legs/feet. Try gators - they work by constricting the ankles of the suit to prevent air traps. Try more negative fins if possible/feasible. It may correct the issue. There is a reason that many tech divers in drysuits like jetfins. If you can move your tank down - try it. Try ankle wieghts - they may just work.

There is more than one way to solve most problems. (and the superior option isn't always the same for every case!)

For the record, with my new dry suit, I have semi floaty feet in a set of frog fins. My 104's are as low as they go and my old suit had perfect trim with turtle fins which don't fit properly in the new suit. Trim is fine except for the nagging foot 'floatyness'. I hope a new set of jets take care of it. (which I want for other reasons)

sharkattack:
Ankle weights are equivelent to training wheels. IMHO

Those who repeat that statement should expand on it a little so that we can understand their idea. Because right now your statement simply shows me that you don't understand what is meant by "floaty feet".
That's my opinion.

Walter:
No one ever needs ankle weights.

Walter and I agree on this - floaty feet are due to one of a couple reasons: 1) lack of kinesthetic awareness, you don't know where your feet are; 2) weak abdominal muscles, so you don't have the core strength to keep feet in position; and 3) weak hip flexors and/or knee extenders so no strenght to make the fins do what they are supposed to as you kick slighly past the level of your hips

so do some ab work, build your leg muscles and spend the money saved on the ankle weights for something useful

TheHobster:
Walter and I agree on this - floaty feet are due to one of a couple reasons: 1) lack of kinesthetic awareness, you don't know where your feet are; 2) weak abdominal muscles, so you don't have the core strength to keep feet in position; and 3) weak hip flexors and/or knee extenders so no strenght to make the fins do what they are supposed to as you kick slighly past the level of your hips

so do some ab work, build your leg muscles and spend the money saved on the ankle weights for something useful

As someone who expierenced this very recently by simply changing drysuits from a 'rock boot' to integrated boot (and fins) - I say it's BS, pure an simple. This can simply be a true equipment related issue that needs solved.

In the case I mentioned above - more wieght is the answer over the feet, either with negative fins or ankle wieghts. How do I know this, well with my old suit, I didn't have floaty feet so it can't be my muscles. I also know what my trim is and its actually OK (in both suits), just uncomfortable to maintain/kick with. The change is in the boot style and fins. I went from turtles which are negative to frogs which aren't (because I had them and they fit). XL jets, if they fit, will likely cure it. (which are a negative fin)

Why is this such a difficult concept to see for some?

sharkattack:
Ankle weights are equivelent to training wheels. IMHO

Ankle weights are a necessity for dive shops which rent dry suits that don't fit their clients - that is just the truth in life. Not everyone will fit every suit. If your boots are too large, you will need ankle weight.

Of course, once you have a well made well fitted drysuit, that is no longer an issue. That is just my opinion, after someone said - "its better larger than too small"...

I haven't browsed through all of the thread, so perhaps someone beat me to it to point out that with only 25 dives in as long as a "couple of years", you're not even familiar with the underwater environment. Keep up diving some more, and then you'll figure this out yourself.

But:
-Placing your tank lower is a good start.
-Put your weights further down also.
-And... The fins you use now are truly "light" in water...

Good luck to you, and tell us in a year or so how it went. More gear on your body is no solution, for sure.

all4scuba05:
Those who repeat that statement should expand on it a little so that we can understand their idea. Because right now your statement simply shows me that you don't understand what is meant by "floaty feet".
That's my opinion.

If you can't control your trim without using ankle weights you need training or more training. I know very well what "floaty feet" are. If you are allowing all the gas in your drysuit to get to your feet, well you need to work on trim. Not by throwing more weight at the problem. That is only a temporary fix. Hence, training wheels.

fisherdvm:
Ankle weights are a necessity for dive shops which rent dry suits that don't fit their clients - that is just the truth in life. Not everyone will fit every suit. If your boots are too large, you will need ankle weight.

Of course, once you have a well made well fitted drysuit, that is no longer an issue. That is just my opinion, after someone said - "its better larger than too small"...

Renting an off the rack suit or even borrowing a suit from someone is asking for problems. Especially one that doesn't fit correctly. Hey but we all know the risks. Even a custom suit can throw you for a loop. Training, training, training and then practice. My wife teaches a mean drysuit class. I have seen her open the eyes of some very proficient divers already diving custom drysuits.

sharkattack:
If you can't control your trim without using ankle weights you need training or more training. I know very well what "floaty feet" are. If you are allowing all the gas in your drysuit to get to your feet, well you need to work on trim. Not by throwing more weight at the problem. That is only a temporary fix. Hence, training wheels.

You and some others here continue to talk about trim and floaty feet as if it were the same thing. If you don't have air getting into your feet but your wearing thick socks with buoyant boots and buoyant fins, how could you say training is what would fix it?
I went from Scubapro Twinjets Yellow(positively buoyant) and buoyant boots to different fins and boots that were both negative. Right away no more floaty feet. I only add enough air to remove the squeeze from my upper body. Your solution would not have worked for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom