Floating Feet - need ankle weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I've been diving for a couple of years now, but only have about 25 dives done. Went back into the Sea ( I dive in Ireland ) last weekend and an old problem came back to haunt me, floating feet...

I wear 5mm Northern Diver Boots with ankle zips and Plana Avantiquattro ABS fins. My fins are negatively buoyant in a pool, haven't tested them in the sea. I've large feet though ( Size 14 UK ), so my boots are quite big and pretty buoyant I reckon.

I've thought about getting ankle weights, but I've heard good things about them ( they're great at keeping your feet down ) and bad things ( you don't really need them, just get your buoyancy and trim right! ).

So, any ideas out there? How can I keep my feet on the level, as it were. Are ankle weights the answer? If so, they seem to come in .5kg and 1kg ( per ankle ) options, is there a better option or do I really need to try it first? I don't want my legs getting tired on long dives either, due to the extra weight on my ankles!

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of shops near me, so it's very hard to try them first...

J.

The FIRST question is how are you floating? Is it JUST your feet? Or is it more of a general feet up / head down position?

I have ScubaPro JET FINS that are a pound each negative. They did great in SW and actually took weight off of my BC. So, maybe that can help you!

Happy Diving!
Carolyn

Sorry, I should have said, I've a SeaQuest Pro QD+ with integrated weights.

I'm pretty certain it's just my feet, whether I'm horizontal in the water, trying to descend feet first or head first, even if I'm on the surface, it's my feet that are floating up.

If possible I'd rather not change my fins etc., I'm very happy with them. I'd probably rather get ankle weights than change fins ( it's cheaper if nothing else! ).

J.

You could try putting your weights on a belt to allow a lower placement, but I could understand why you may not like that option.

Jasonb:
Sorry, I should have said, I've a SeaQuest Pro QD+ with integrated weights.

I'm pretty certain it's just my feet, whether I'm horizontal in the water, trying to descend feet first or head first, even if I'm on the surface, it's my feet that are floating up.

If possible I'd rather not change my fins etc., I'm very happy with them. I'd probably rather get ankle weights than change fins ( it's cheaper if nothing else! ).

I'd say you need ankle weights.

They will solve the problem nicely.

Dave C

And there's my problem...

Walter said 'No one ever needs ankle weights'

Dave4868 said 'I'd say you need ankle weights. They will solve the problem nicely.'

Which is correct? Walter, why does no-one need ankle weights? Dave4868, what weight would you recommend? I currently dive with 24lbs ( 11kg ), so should I go with .5k ( 1lb ) on each ankle or 1kg ( 2lbs ) on each?

J.

Walter:
No one ever needs ankle weights.

This is completely wrong information.

I suspect Walter may elaborate with a bit more useful information. As with any public free advice board, take everything with a grain of salt. Use whatever tools you need to solve your problem, period. The rest is an elementary school peer pressure exercise so rampant on this board.

There are MANY different reasons to use ankle weights. I choose to wear them to shift some lead from my waist when diving from shore with a single alum, etc. When I dive from my boat with doubles my lead is reduced such that I don't wear them. I don't need them to keep my feet down, my feet sink anyway, I choose to use them as a solution to shift lead from one part of my system to another.

There are several techniques and solutions to address floating feet. Shifting the position of your tank can help. Are you diving dry or wet? If dry you need to manage the air in your legs/feet to prevent floating feet. Having large feet can present a unique air space opportunity causing your feet to float. It could also be your body type. Ankle weights are just another tool in the toolbox.

--Matt

Back
Top Bottom