Float/Flag setup, what to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here is a very basic question.

I want to buy my own float with a dive flag on it.
What kind to get? I've seen floats made with inner tubes
inside and some that look like vinyl pool toys.
Inner tubes require a pump to fill, one more thing to
buy/carry. Also what do peole use to anchor the float/flags
A brick on a string or something more sophisticated?
My indented use is beach diving but it may find use around
my boat too. Need something durable but easy to use
setup and store.

I use a purchased dive flag. It is an inflatable float that is red/white with a dive flag sticking out the top. It would probable fit into your "vinyl pool toys" category.

To anchor we either carry a small bag of weights (6 or 8 pounds) with us and drop it off in the area we are diving or we use the flag line holder with a brass snap hook. The line holder is a purchased plastic thing that looks like a weird coat hanger. Depending on how far we are going to move around underwater we sometimes carry the line holder with us.

I carry a red/white "Diver Down" flag on a simple styrofoam ball with a weight and a leader line. Get it at any decent dive shop. I never anchor the flag, but stick my right arm through the line holder.

If you dive from your boat, get a properly sized Alpha flag and use it according to the appropriate waterway laws.

ChrisA:
Here is a very basic question.

I want to buy my own float with a dive flag on it.
What kind to get? I've seen floats made with inner tubes
inside and some that look like vinyl pool toys.
Inner tubes require a pump to fill, one more thing to
buy/carry. Also what do peole use to anchor the float/flags
A brick on a string or something more sophisticated?
My indented use is beach diving but it may find use around
my boat too. Need something durable but easy to use
setup and store.
I have one I bought in Florida that has a two piece rod on a styrofoam ball. There is a weight on the bottom and a wire that holds the flag out even with no wind.

I usually hold the line, but a brick can hold it.

The advice about using an alfa flag is good. I like both since federal law and state law aren't the same.

Rather then looping your arm through anything, I would recommend just holding it with one hand. If a boat comes screaming by and does not see the float ...or doesnt care....and runs over it entangling with the float....you may find yourself getting a nasty rope burn at best....severe cut....or be water skiing when you wanted to go diving. Just holding it allows it to be jerked our of your hand no problem.

I suggest anchoring the float don't tow it with you as you could find yourself as mentioned above being towed by a boat, have your arm severed, your other equipment torn off or entangled...

Here is a quick and easy way to make your own float: 12" styro-foam ball, 0.5" peice of dowel ruffly 3-4' long, and buy a vinal or nylon flag< not a Huge one but big enough to be seen> and you'll need aboutl 1lb of lead for a counter weight. Attached is a rough diagram, also there is in another thread the same posting, but also about the float I use. I think it's the same type of subject too.

PS. use a spare 10lbs weight to anchor your float. You can use a 50' piece of nylon rope< the thin white stuff> with no problems. AS for attaching the counter weight.. use a small screw eye in the bottom of the dowel, and you can attach one with a clip to the weight, or use a 2lbs pre fabricated weight and tie it into the screw eye.

oh yeah and one more thing, u can buy a flag with wire in it to keep the flag stiff when no wind is blowing so the flag can be seen, or you can attach your own wire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom