Flight Transfer Time Going To San Pedor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used Maya Island for the puddle jumper. Originally I booked the 2nd plane out from when I landed (as the first only left about 30 minutes after I was due in and didnt want to miss it should there be any delays). However I still made it through with time to catch the first flight out. No problem just went to the counter, asked, and there was room on the earlier flight and they put me on it.

So really, even if you leave yourself some time that doesn't mean you will have to wait.

Leaving San Pedro I gave myself a 3 hour window at the BZE - way too much time and I was even delayed due to being selected for secondary screening.

The advantage of Maya Island Air is that they sometimes offer significant cash discounts. The disadvantage goes along with that, in that they are less prepared to put on an uneconomic flight. I have several times been stranded at different airports around Belize when Maya have decided not to operate my flight because not enough people were booked on it. On one occasion the plane had already landed and was awaiting boarding but the service was cancelled. The impact on me was a delay of some 4.5 hours. In the meantime several Tropic flights departed with fewer people on board than Maya's apparent minimum.

Specifically about the international airport, I have several times arrived on a very delayed international flight, and Tropic has flown me out to San Pedro well after normal operations have ceased - on one occasion landing at SP at 8:45 pm. I have twice been the only passenger on board - on one occasion I was not booked and their last scheduled flight of the day was full. They put on an extra aircraft just to fly me up there.

On baggage, as this is another concern of international travellers. I once arrived at Belize City's Municipal Airstrip riding a bicycle I had just bought, expecting to be told to go by sea. Not at all - they accepted me and bicycle (for which there was no charge) without comment, then I saw them through the window getting out tools to remove wheels and turn handlebars. At the other end they restored the bicycle to original condition before giving it to me. Now THAT'S service.

Tropic Air is extremely professional and utterly dependable. Maya can often be cheaper but doesn't measure up to the same standards.

Thanks again for all the new information. We have booked with tropic air. Next flight out on the way down, about 2.5 hours early on the way back.

We booked carts from Cholo's. 10% discount for two 4 person carts over 8 days.

Next move is the diving, probably won't book in advance, but might send out a few emails first to make sure it's not necessary.

You haven't said when you're coming, nor how many you are. Most of the time pre-booking isn't necessary, but if you have enough people to fill two 4-person golf carts I wouldn't be so sure.

When I flew with Maya into Belize City last month, I was impressed with how they run security for their luggage. I was given luggage tags for my two bags in Placencia, and a security person actually confirmed the tags against my bags when I picked them up in Belize City.

Here in Portland and elsewhere in the US, I can't remember the last time someone actually confirmed the bags I was taking off the carousel were in fact mine. And no one checks when you fly internationally into BZ City either. Always makes me a bit nervous to think that someone else could take my bags, intentionally or not, without having to show proof of ownership. I use a big, black bag for my dive gear and a lot of bags look alike.

So when I'm waiting for my luggage, I like to stand either near where the bags pop out from behind the wall or in a spot where I can see the entire carousel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom