Flight from Cancun to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This has mostly been said, but felt like chiming in since I have done the bag drag more times than I can count. I think one year I did it 15 times.

1). If you are on a shorter trip, try hard to fly direct into CZM if extra cost isn’t brutal. When you have to allow for ferry times not lining up perfectly with flight times , risk of traffic in Playa and on way to airport etc , you wind up having to allow for a fair amount of buffer in case something goes wrong (in addition to the actual ferry and land travel times ) Doesn’t matter too much on a 10+day trip, but if you are doing a 5 or 6 day trip the bag drag can eat up a significant percentage of your vacation. I had to do the drag a lot in 2017-2019 time frame since it was coming on days when I couldn’t go direct into Cozumel but I don’t recommend it for shorter trips (mine actually were short trips, but I couldn’t avoid it)

2). I used to use the bus , but I don’t use it anymore. The average travel time has blown out a lot over the years. Can’t remember the exact reasons, but increase traffic (especially near the bus station in Playa), the other terminal stop within the airport and occasional extra stop in Playa all came into play. Multiple times the bus made me 2 hours later into Cozumel than the car (combination of bus wait time , longer travel time and just missing a ferry ) Maybe they have fixed some of the problems but how often to trends work in your favor. Also crime has gone up a lot on the buses , heard plenty of stories about one guy bumping you while another loots stuff from your bag. This historically wasn’t much of an issue, but is now. Lastly —Covid. Vaccines aren’t 100 percent effective and Q Roo is still in an outbreak. I guess if you know you are going to have to wait a long time for the next ferry anyway the bus might be an option post Covid.

3). Mayair closed a few years ago (pre-pandemic) and haven’t restarted as far as I know. Used. them if schedules aligned with my US flights but that didn’t happen very often at the end. They evidently used to cancel flights fairly frequently which was a pain (never happened to me )

4). As noted Leo’s FlyCozumel is pretty expensive. Think they are using a small sightseeing Cessna on a private charter basis (not a schedule) Someone already provided the link. You could spend as much CZM-CUN round trip as your flights to US. For some people might be worth it if you are on a long weekend and cost isn’t a consideration (for that price direct to CZM would be cheaper if it were available, but a lot of times schedules are really pared back during Hurricane season ).

5). Haven’t used @cvchief s van guy but that likely would be the the best method for doing the bag drag, especially if you aren’t traveling solo. I usually used the cars straight from the airport vendor (?Supershuttle?) for 1100 pesos , but I gather that may have changed. The rate at the airport was like 20 percent cheaper if you paid in pesos btw, so I always kept pesos. I used them because they were easy, but I have seen many many positive comments on cvchiefs guy over the years so he would probably be the best option (and cheaper ).

6). Ferries historically were totally fine but are more crowded now due to the duopoly between Ultramar and Winjet (aviomar) alternating days. They also aren’t running every hour. They slow down during mid afternoon especially. This can add a lot of time to your trip if you miss a ferry but 5 minutes and have to wait 2 or even 3 hours for the next one. All this has Increased crowding during a pandemic—what could go wrong. These don’t have the air circulation of jets going 500 mph (unless you sit outside). I have posted a winjet schedule below. (Note they are operating on odd numbered days this month )
199990409_759223464760677_307996430849210114_n.jpg

ADO tix are $10-11 per person, cheapest shuttle I've been able to score was $60 though I've hard of $50. I wouldn't call 2-3x the price "not much more". I've found the time savings of a shuttle to be about 30 minutes and virtually no added convenience. The shuttle can't get you any closer to the ferry than the bus.

Staying overnight in PDC can be part of the trip, allowing you to experience 5th Ave. and the bars, restaurants, and shops. Many who go to Coz make a day trip over for that. We have done several split trips staying 2 or 3 nights in PDC to hit cenotes or pyramids.

Well mine guy is like 900 pesos, so like 45? I have heard they taxis were desperate for fares in CUN and giving even better deals.

Another added convenience is the guy mets me at the door in CUN and helps with the bags. If you mule stuff, its always heavy and unwieldy. If I am not mistaken, I would have to schlep the bags to the other side for the bus too?

And another perk, its I get to work on my Spanish with the driver and shoot the bull, rather than just watch part of a movie in Spanish.

Nothing wrong with the bus. I mean its kind of plebeian but other than that. Maybe I am just antibus?

Well mine guy is like 900 pesos, so like 45? I have heard they taxis were desperate for fares in CUN and giving even better deals.

Another added convenience is the guy mets me at the door in CUN and helps with the bags. If you mule stuff, its always heavy and unwieldy. If I am not mistaken, I would have to schlep the bags to the other side for the bus too?

And another perk, its I get to work on my Spanish with the driver and shoot the bull, rather than just watch part of a movie in Spanish.

Nothing wrong with the bus. I mean its kind of plebeian but other than that. Maybe I am just antibus?

I've taken lots of shuttles, too. It makes sense for groups of 4-6. Or anyone during covid. Once though we exited and could not find a guy with my name on a sign. 30 minutes of stress and phone calls later the guy arrived. I'm hesitant to pay in advance now.

I really don't get people's concerns over rolling their bags an extra 50 feet after rolling them for 1000+ through airports. From the front doors of Terminal 2 where United arrives, it's an easy pitching wedge to where the bus loads. Busses run every 20-30 minutes most of the time. We grab a few beers (overpriced) as we exit the doors.

If you are on a shorter trip, try hard to fly direct into CZM if extra cost isn’t brutal.
Or fly direct into Cozumel no matter how long you are staying; that's what I do. We all have our individual concerns and preferences, but for mine the bag drag is never worth the time and trouble. I did it a couple of times in the past to save money but I always ended up wishing I hadn't. DSFDF and YMMV.

ADO tix are $10-11 per person, cheapest shuttle I've been able to score was $60 though I've hard of $50. I wouldn't call 2-3x the price "not much more". I've found the time savings of a shuttle to be about 30 minutes and virtually no added convenience. The shuttle can't get you any closer to the ferry than the bus.

Staying overnight in PDC can be part of the trip, allowing you to experience 5th Ave. and the bars, restaurants, and shops. Many who go to Coz make a day trip over for that. We have done several split trips staying 2 or 3 nights in PDC to hit cenotes or pyramids.

Or fly direct into Cozumel no matter how long you are staying; that's what I do. We all have our individual concerns and preferences, but for mine the bag drag is never worth the time and trouble. I did it a couple of times in the past to save money but I always ended up wishing I hadn't. DSFDF and YMMV.

I think Gordon sums up my pov. There are things I am willing to spend extra money on that are worth it to me and other things I don't spend the extra money on that even it out a bit. I did the bag drag for a while b/c I could fly into CUN for taxes and fees using Southwest points. It was worth the additional $30ish over two ADO tix to have a convenience I felt was worth. The trip I did solo to PDC do dive in Tulum for a week, I took the bus both ways b/c the car wasn't worth it to me. For others that extra is never worth it. They take the bus and perhaps drink overpriced beers while waiting for the bus. Those beers are worth it to them, but not to me. Now I can fly into CZM for taxes and fees and I am hoping that lasts on SW.

Like the Chief, I too, like working on my Spanish with the car driver. One time, when it was clear we would not make the next ferry, I asked that driver stop at a safe ATM for me. He found one and waited outside the door for me. That was nice of him and then I didn't need to bother with an ATM for a few days. For me, that adds value to the extra $ I am paying for the car since we would be getting on the 6:00 ferry over instead of the 5:00. Again, YMMV based on what is "worth it" to you and what isn't.

. . .
6). Ferries historically were totally fine but are more crowded now due to the duopoly between Ultramar and Winjet (aviomar) alternating days. They also aren’t running every hour. They slow down during mid afternoon especially. This can add a lot of time to your trip if you miss a ferry but 5 minutes and have to wait 2 or even 3 hours for the next one. All this has Increased crowding during a pandemic—what could go wrong. These don’t have the air circulation of jets going 500 mph (unless you sit outside). I have posted a winjet schedule below. (Note they are operating on odd numbered days this month )

That does make me reconsider my thinking. I don't recall waiting more than an hour at most. My Coz knowledge is out of date. Thanks.

That does make me reconsider my thinking. I don't recall waiting more than an hour at most. My Coz knowledge is out of date. Thanks.

When I went in September of last year, I thought I was going to miss the 2:00 PM ferry. The next one was at 5:00 PM. The 2:00 PM ferry ended up showing up at sometime past three.

Playa del Carmen Tours is $52 to be driven from CUN to the ferry to Coz in PDC.

Back
Top Bottom