Flight between Konor (Palau) and Yap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monishi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

I just noticed that the flight between Konor (Palau) and Yap only runs once a week by United and no other airlines fly between these locations directly. I was planning a week of liveaboard in Palau and was trying to combine Yap for 4 days. I think a whole week of Yap would become boring if the highlight of Yap diving is only Manta Rays. (I'm not too into Macro)

I believe the issue is that Continential which used to fly three times a week between Palau and Yap, got merged with United three years ago and due to the cost cut, United cut the flights down to only once a week...

Any suggestions on flight, any other airlines flight to Yap from Palau that I missed, or any speed boat that goes to Yap from Palau?

Thanks and cheers,

Mimi

We went to Yap and Palau a couple years ago. We took United. We went thru Guam and then on to Yap. We stayed 4 days (3 days of diving) and took the United flight that leaves at midnight for Palau.

I am am planning a trip in June.
basically United is the only airline that flys to yap.
there are no boats between yap & Palau.

You you can either fly from Palau or Guam. From each location there are only a couple of flights per week.

The reports I have read indicate that yap is definitely worth staying for a weeks worth of diving rather than just a few days. I read the shark dive in yap is very good.

Hi everyone,

I just noticed that the flight between Konor (Palau) and Yap only runs once a week by United and no other airlines fly between these locations directly. I was planning a week of liveaboard in Palau and was trying to combine Yap for 4 days. I think a whole week of Yap would become boring if the highlight of Yap diving is only Manta Rays. (I'm not too into Macro)

I believe the issue is that Continential which used to fly three times a week between Palau and Yap, got merged with United three years ago and due to the cost cut, United cut the flights down to only once a week...

Any suggestions on flight, any other airlines flight to Yap from Palau that I missed, or any speed boat that goes to Yap from Palau?

Thanks and cheers,

Mimi

Just got home this past weekend from Yap/Palau. We flew United to Yap stayed for 4 nights and dove 3 days. We did 7 dives in Yap. The dives we did in Yap were some of the best dives we have ever done. We stayed at Yap Pacific and were very happy! The shark feeding dive we went on with Dieter (the owner) is not to be missed. So exciting! You will see sharks in Palau on almost every dive, but you will never be close to 20+ sharks all at once. Dove twice with the mantas. Second time we were at the cleaning station for 1 hour 40 minutes! 10 mantas flying over and around us the whole time! You won't get this in Palau. And the evening mandarin fish dive was such a special experience. Not only is the diving spectacular, but the cultural experience in Yap is just as great. On our off gas day, we went to visit our dive guides local village where we met his Uncle, the Chief. We also toured the stone money bank. In the evening we were lucky enough to attend a local "dance". Other than Yap Day, they only have these dances/gatherings a few times a year. It was not a tourist attraction as the tourist there made up only about 5%. Yap is truly a special place with very friends people who are trying hard to hold onto their culture and keep their customs. I wish we had stayed longer in Yap! I would do a week next time. A few days is nice, but it wasn't enough.

Spent 13 nights in Palau. We dove with Palau Dive Adventures for 9 days. Can't say enough good things about them! A smaller dive operation that schedules 3 dive days into their weekly itinerary. Many dive shops only go out of 2 dives and offer an optional 3rd dive closer to the shop. In Palau we saw larger schools of fish and beautiful soft corals. On our return to the Pacific I don't think I could go back without going to both islands!

Just so you know, it's Koror, not Konor. Something to keep in mind is that visibility on Yap can be affected by heavy rain. The islands in Palau (2000) do not have a lot of top soil so rain and tides don't hurt the visibility nearl as much. As with all diving, the weather can make a difference.

Yap is a great place to visit whether you dive or not. The people are great and when you visit village life you'll feel like you really have experienced something wonderful and unique in the world. Yap was where I got to touch one of those giant mantas and took a great picture with a turtle at about 20 ft. On that great day the visibility was only about 20ft.

I was lucky to spend a lot of time (several weeks) diving in Palau and still didn't dent the amount of unique dives they have there.

I wouldn't miss Yap for anything but I'd spend more time in Palau. I would say that if it's your first trip or tenth. Adventure-Ocean

I don't think a week in Yap is too much, if it comes down to that and you have the time. At least in the past, the mantas were so heavily promoted it gave the erroneous impression that's all there is to see there.

I have the same question. So what did you find out, if anything, Monishi? Seems like there must be a regional airline among the islands. I found Fly Guam but it says on their website as of April 2014 no more flights. Maybe a small chartered plane would be a reasonable price for our group of the four? I thought there use to be liveaboards who went to both Palau and Yap but I can't find any now. Even the longer then 7 day trips seem far and few between. Do people even charter a boat for a day trip there? I am not sure of the travel time perhaps this is unrealistic. Any advice beside stay a week? Not an option for everyone :-(

There are two United flights per week between Koror and Yap and visa-versa. You may go to Guam on some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom