flesh eating bacteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeeS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was planning on diving Venice tomorrow Saturday the 16th. But I'm concerned about this is it just the Media blowing that story up or is it easy to get.

Vibrio vulnificus or vibro is found in all coastal waters and levels increase when the waters become warmer. The real danger is to very old, very young and people with compromised immune systems. It generally enters the body thru wounds and punctures caused by stingrays and fish spines. People who spend a lot of time in and on the coastal waters (fishermen, divers and commercial fishermen) develop an immunity thru repeated contact. This is also why harvesting of oysters is is not done during warm months and eating of uncooked shellfish is discouraged.

Then why all the news coverage this year compared to previous years

One reason is media hype. I think another is as the recent amoeba cases. These when combined make for great sensational news about deadly things in the water. The risk has always been there but is very low, tragic but low. Same thing with shark attacks also.

I thought the IRS was the 'flesh eating bacteria' !!!

Well we ended up going to gennie springs in stead had a blast wish I wouldn't have stopped diving Venice is on list for this year lol. Thanks

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom