Flathead or Ds-v

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

im in Duluth. bout 900 miles from you. i would love to try them, but am gonna get them for my ow classes. thanks tho.

Regardless of what you do, one thing is sure....you can't go wrong with Zeagle! I'm continually impressed with how my "low end" Envoy breathes as well at 13' as it does at 133'. :wink:

I got the DSV as well. My LDS/Instructor uses the the Flathead VI. Basically won't notice a difference until around 200'. There's the unsealed version of the Flathead that's the best breathing of them all and will be cheaper than the sealed version. My wife and I both have the DSV and would buy them again with out hesitation.

I have the DS V and it's a very easy-breathing reg.

The deepest that I dove it was 112' and it breathed just as easy at that depth as it did at 15'

You can't go wrong with Zeagle.

My $.02 on the 50-D ...

Great reg, breathes easy, but the swivel is a point for potential failure. The shoulder bolt that holds the two halves of the reg body together must be torqued to a specified value for the swivel to function and yet not allow the high pessure o-ring between the two halves to blow out. It can happen ... my wife and I were on the receiving end of the same failure within days of each other on the same trip, same number of dives on both regs.

We dive Flatheads now ... no more swivels. And frankly, it was our observation after we bought the 50-D's that the swivel was of little or no benefit over a one-piece body. Not to mention, if you need unplanned reg repairs/service on the other side of the world, what are the odds the local guy is gonna have the specs for torquing that bolt?

I have DS-IVs which are actually DS-Vs, and like 'em a lot. My last set of regs were really old hand-me-downs which hadn't been serviced in years (but that's another conversation). I've found the routing isn't ideal for doubles, but the performance is top notch and I'm going to hold onto them for quite a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom