Flash question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cannon ball

Reaction score
Hi! I'm a beginner for underwater photography. As I check on strobes, their price are so high. So I wonder why people use strobe instead of make a housing for normal flash. My Pentax MZ-S camera has wireless P.TTL capability. It would be easy to make a housing for this flash since it is wireless (and should be cheaper than buying a strobe).

Thanks

housing for strobe is not neccessarily cheap either. Subal housing for Nikon SB800 is well over $500. I am not sure how reliable wireless connection is underwater since it will have to go through 2 housing at least. If it is infrared then it definitely won't travel far underwater especially if it has to go through 2 aluminium housing or thick polycarbonate housing.

Cannon ball:
Hi! I'm a beginner for underwater photography. As I check on strobes, their price are so high. So I wonder why people use strobe instead of make a housing for normal flash. My Pentax MZ-S camera has wireless P.TTL capability. It would be easy to make a housing for this flash since it is wireless (and should be cheaper than buying a strobe).

Thanks
I use a couple of home-made strobes that cost me about $20 to make out of ABS pipe, old second-hand surface camera flashes, and old Ikelite sync cords that I had lying around. Of course they're not TTL (but neither is my camera) and not very bright (they work fine within about 3-4 feet, which is about as far as I want to get). I also bought an old Honeywell Strobnar in an Ikelite housing for about $20 on E-bay. The batteries were pretty much disintegrated, but I replaced them with new ni-cads and now it works fine (except it blasts out so much light that it's almost too bright. I have to pile diffusers over it). These Ikelite housing/strobe combinations are pretty common and cheap on E-bay although as I experienced, most old "sitting around in a closet for years" strobes have batteries that will need to be replaced. I don't know the size of your surface strobe, but there are also lots of "generic" underwater housings (again, mostly by Ikelite and on E-bay) that you can put whatever you like in.

Cannon ball:

Thanks

Finally...someone figured it out. You mean like this? All are from Ikelite, the flash housing (clear) about $20 on Ebay, the external flash (all black) $5 at a yard sale. Both working just fine even at 100+ depth. The Substrobe 150 (large) when new...$500, the two Sub 50s... $300+ new. I saw both types of strobes go for less than $100 on Ebay.

And the kicker is the housed $5 strobe is 1.5 times more powerful than the Sub 50s. The housed flash is retiring, too bulky. Ebay is the place for strobes, don't pay no more than $100. If you don't get one on the first round more will come along.

Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom